Sign in to follow this  
Guest planeman223

737 "Flaper-ons"

Guest planeman223

I just noticed this morning my 738 appears to have flaperons!! I have never herd of this can someone elaborate? What controls them why do they adjust? Why are they needed? I can find no control or switch for which to control them.Thanks, Alex

Did you see flaps moving or spoilers?Boeing has used spoilers for roll control augmentation for a long time. I believe their deployment is automatic. Their use has to do with less adverse yaw at higher speeds than the outboard control surface.It was flaps you saw moving then all I can say is, "Well I'll be darned!"

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest planeman223

HAHA of course. Sorry I was a little unclear, I am talking about a smaller flap within the aileron which looked deployed maybe about 25 degrees on both ailerons. It only appeared to be maybe a foot long and about half the width of the main aileron. During the whole flight, it was deployed and I watched it the whole way. Unaffected by flap detent, throttle position or speed, this flap located ON the aileron looked unfamiliar to me. On the way back, it was retracted.Who knows, Alex

Im am not 100% sure if this is the case with the 737. But many aircraft use a flight control called a Servo Tab. When the pilot moves the controls, he isnt moving the whole airleron, but the tab is deflected. This tab will then "push" the airleron in the direction the pilot wants. This is done through aerodynamic forces.

Cheers,
Ryan

Professional Coffee Drinker/BAe146 Driver
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer

These are balance tabs. They move in an a direction opposite to aileron movement. The aerodynamic forces on these tabs help to make it easier for the pilots to move the ailerons.Similar devices can be found on the elevators, but the direction of these can vary, according to flap position.Cheers.Q>