Sign in to follow this  
Guest A32X

MD-11 Standby Instruments

Guest FlyMD11.nl

Hello Paul, At this moment they have simulated the old ones, well at least in the VC at this point. For reference you could look at the published pictures of the VC at the PMDG main site (first news item).Regards, Remco

Guest A32X

Hi Remco,Looks good;PMDG_MD11_VC_Preview_2a.jpgWith the battery off I'm guessing this instrument should topple? Do you know what drives the standby horizon?Thanks,Paul

Guest FlyMD11.nl

Paul!Thanks for linking....The standby horizon "Old Style" is driven by a battery bus powered electrical gyroscoop. So to keep it errect the BAT bus should be energized. During complete powerdown (for some time, like a few hours or a night) you can, indeed, expect this instrument to topple. EDIT: I have checked if it is the case in the sim at this moment.... It's not simulated (yet?)...Remco

Guest Toledano

Excelent question! But... Can you give us an comparison?

Guest FlyMD11.nl

Paul, It was brought to my attention that the final word is not out yet on which instrument to simulate (this is not an invitation to start a discussion!) We'll just have to wait and see what they will finalize.A comparison:New style:http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0539627/M/Old style:http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1039579/M/Swiss was using the new styles, while KLM uses the old style.Remco

Guest A32X

I prefer the "old school" standby instruments myself...Paul

>I prefer the "old school" standby instruments myself...>>PaulThe digital version was made standard for the last MD-11 to be built, so Lufthansa has them as well. That was in a direct consequence of the Swissair MD-11 accident investigation. So this new integrated stand-by instrument was not just built in because it's nice and "the others" have it as well. It was done as an improvement to the old gauges, that's why Boeing adapted it to their latest MD-11s.As Remco said it is not clear yet which one's you'll get and no it won't be open for discussion. ;)Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

I too would prefer the old style instruments, but a comparison would be nice to have in order to check out the technical and operational differences between the two. To add to the airlines cited, Alitalia also used the analog standby instruments. http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=0028...622&tbl=COCKPITIt would be really great if we could have both panel variants and liveries which install according to the company setup of either analog or digital ;)