Sign in to follow this  
flightsimmer747

Question to better understand Fuel load planning 747

HII'm checking how much fuel to load on a long haul flight, and I pretty much figured out my distance and checked in the NM section to see how much fuel to board. Now seeing I also would have step climbs which altitude is the right one? My initial climb is the one I board fuel for, does it mean the extra fuel is burned to get you to the other altitude? The higher one flies the less you burn, so, for 4400 NM fuel to board at FL 410/479 is 186.0 lbs but at FL 310/488 210.6 lbs but 15 mins is saved in time. Now there is a big difference in fuel approx 25 000 lbs of difference. What and how do you decide this factor of altitude in a step climb flight and when the time is not so much an issue, to know how much your load should be?I've done many many flights but would like to know the real answer to this that it has bugged me everytime I prepare a flight.Thanks guys.

Did everyone stop flying the 747, again how much fuel would you board in a step climb flight, do you take your initial altitude or your true cruise altitude?

helloon a flight trip with step climbs include there s not way to check for more fuel...on the other hand if you need extra climb for a 4000' you need 500 to 650 lbs depending on gross weight .... so each time this is amount you need ...but being closer to opt alt save you also a lot ...4000' below opt alt is 5% fuel burn more ...so the little extra fuel need to climb is saved so quickly ... if you have more than 30 minutes to fly this is the best to followsee you