Sign in to follow this  
Guest alpha2003

Flaps

Guest alpha2003

Hi everybody.I have a big understanding problem.So 737 Takeoff with flap5. When i am reaching V2+15 i set Flaps 1 but why can i do this so early?I dont have reach the maneuverspeed 1. Isnt it dangerous?And why do i have to set Flaps 1 at the minimum maneuverspeed and not at Maneuverspeed 1?Greets Markus

Markus, your explanation is a bit confussing.There are some takeoff and flap retraction procedures in the 737.I often use this one:00.- Flap position = 501.- LNAV and AT armed02.- MCP speed: set V203.- Stabilize turbines at 40% N104.- Release brakes05.- Press TOGA button06.- At V1 hands off the throttles07.- At VR rotate at 3

Guest alpha2003

And this ist the point i will discuss now.in the manual, it is descried, that you have to set at v2+15 flaps1 and at 1 set Flaps Up.And at the Landing you must set flaps 1 early at "UP".So why is the procedure so different?and why do i have to fly with flaps 40 at landing and can takeoff with flaps 5. but my airspeed is so low?

Uh...I do not remember where in the manual that strange thing is said...On approach your speed is going down: You set flap-1 when passing the UP mark because you are "leaving" the flaps-UP safety region, and you "enter" the flap-1 safety region, so you set flap 1...and so on.And viceversa, on takeoff and initial climb your speed is going up: You set flaps-UP when passing the UP mark because is "the door" to the flaps-UP safety region...And as you know, takeoff and landing are not the same thing...they are not.At takeoff:You want to go up, don't you?, so your engines are almost at max power, maybe 95%, and you want to go up with the less possible drag (flap-5)At landingYou want to go down, don't you?, so your engines are at mid power, maybe 65%, and drag is not a problem (it is even good as is slowing you)(flap-30)Different circumstances require different configurations.Jose Luis

Guest alpha2003

Thanks for your answer.you can see the takeoff procedure at normal procedure 5-10.So at the pfd you can see the max speed section and the stall section and stick shaker speed. So when you see the stall speed from flaps 1 and the maneuverspeed there is a big difference between. So why do i have to set the flaps so early?How are the maneuverspeed calculated?and for example you have a v2+10 160 knots and you can fly until your acceleration with flaps 1. you can set your flaps 1 at v2+15. But you are also above the stall speed.But when you are going to land you have to fly at 160 for example with flaps 15.So why is there the difference?