Sign in to follow this  
KingCat

B744 dark & cold cockpit

I have a problem with the dark and cold cockpit of the B744.When I enter the cockpit, the IRS switches are already in their NAV position, when they should be in the OFF position.Also, when I apply power to the airplane by starting the APU and turning on the APU GEN switches, all of the fuel pump switches are already in their ON position, when they should be OFF.I have also worked my way through every TRC lesson, and when I did lesson #1, these switches were all in the correct position when starting in a cold and dark cockpit.I already tried to save the panel state from TRC lesson #1, but when I reload the saved panel state when I'm parked at a different airport, the IRS and the fuel pump switches are not in their correct position again. Any idea why this happens?It's a bit strange that the TRC lesson #1 does have the switches in the correct position, and when I try to use this same panel state at a different airport, the switches are not in their correct postion.I also have a question regarding the DUCT pressure when starting the engines. It seems that when I follow the checklist correctly, and I have to start the engines, I always have 0 PSI. But when I toggle the switches L and R ISLN, then the required DUCT pressure is enough for starting the engines. Is this an error in the checklist?KingCat

>When I enter the cockpit, the IRS switches are already in>their NAV position, when they should be in the OFF position.I think that some of the switches are not controlled by the panel start up state manager when the saves are loaded.. The other classic is the APU being turned off whenever you reload a game at the gate.. It's actually really aggrivating.. I have some saves that are at the gates and pretty much ready to go.. just need a few adjustments for weather etc.. and have to mess about starting up the APU again!>Also, when I apply power to the airplane by starting the APU>and turning on the APU GEN switches, all of the fuel pump>switches are already in their ON position, when they should be>OFF.This is a trait of some of the panel saves again.. You could check them before you start the APU though.. I do as part of my cockpit safety inspection... It's another.. (and depends how you look at it actually.. some people probably like the feature) annoying feature of the loading.. Whenever you start a game and load a new fuel quantity using the PMDG menu.. the PMDG fuel load manager sets up the fuel panel for you.. and also distributes the fuel within the aircraft correctly which is ok on the ground (I'd prefer it just left the switches alone in this case).. IT ALSO does it.. if you load a game midflight.. you can save a game with fuel quantites not quite even throughout the system and yet after reloading the distribution is perfect again.. (it won't reset the switches though, which is good) VERY aggrivating.. I'd prefer the save system saved the fuel quantites in the tanks and the switch positions ONLY.. and didn't attempt to correct or redistribute.>I have also worked my way through every TRC lesson, and when I>did lesson #1, these switches were all in the correct position>when starting in a cold and dark cockpit.That's probably because when you load their tutorial you don't actually change the fuel load... so the PMDG fuel manager doesn't change the switches.. it only redistributes it.. but since it's correct anyway it makes no difference.. If you load a save panel with the right fuel quantity you want.. and THEN set the switches.. then save the FLIGHT.. when you reload you'll hopefully find it doesn't change the switch positions.>I already tried to save the panel state from TRC lesson #1,>but when I reload the saved panel state when I'm parked at a>different airport, the IRS and the fuel pump switches are not>in their correct position again. Any idea why this happens?Something funny going on with the fuel manager.. I think what you've done is.. LOAD the flight.. then LOAD the panel... LOAD flight means the fuel manager doesn't get it's mits on your switches but will redistribute the fuel.. loading the panel means it does both.. and it'll set up your fuel system again.. Try loading the flight.. setting it all up as you want.. fuel.. switches.. saving the FLIGHT then reloading.. it should work and not change switch positionsI think it works like this...FLIGHT LOAD = Fuel manager changes the quantities in the tanks and redistributes but won't change the swtiches...PANEL LOAD/FUEL CHANGE = Fuel manager will do both change the distribution of fuel and set the panel correctly...>It's a bit strange that the TRC lesson #1 does have the>switches in the correct position, and when I try to use this>same panel state at a different airport, the switches are not>in their correct postion.SEE ABOVE>I also have a question regarding the DUCT pressure when>starting the engines. It seems that when I follow the>checklist correctly, and I have to start the engines, I always>have 0 PSI. But when I toggle the switches L and R ISLN, then>the required DUCT pressure is enough for starting the engines.>Is this an error in the checklist?I am not sure what you mean.. but left and right isolation valves should both be open to allow bleed air to travel to the engines for start... If the switches are showing the isolation valves open with no amber light for failure and the EICAS panel agrees and there is no bleed air.. sim problem.. I've never seen this personally though..>KingCatHope that helps you fella!Craig

Craig Read, EGLL

Thanks for your reply.At least I know that I'm not the only one who's having these issues with the panel state.And yes, I do load the flight first, then the panel state, and then the fuel quantity. I use the loadmanager to load my pax and cargo, and then I use the PMDG options menu to load the fuel (this fuel gauge is a bit more accurate than the loadmanager).About the DUCT pressure. I already figured out what the problem was. The L and R ISLN were already open. I accidentally closed them when I tried to start the engines. That's why I had 0 PSI. Right now I have 23 PSI, so that problem is solved.Another problem I discovered today, is that when I have arrived at my destination airport, and I'm working on the shutdown, the checklist says at some point that I have to put the ENGINE BLEED SWITCHES to the OFF position. Then the VALVE lights should illuminate.But when I turn the ENGINE BLEED SWITCHES to the OFF position, then the OFF lights illuminate and NOT the VALVE lights. Is this normal??KingCat

"Another problem I discovered today, is that when I have arrived at my destination airport, and I'm working on the shutdown, the checklist says at some point that I have to put the ENGINE BLEED SWITCHES to the OFF position. Then the VALVE lights should illuminate."Strange checklist. Normally the main engine bleed valve switches are never touched. The OFF lights should illuminate when the engine has been shut down (or if the bleed valve switches have been selected to OFF)The checklist may have been referring to the Bleed Isolation switches, but even so, the VALVE lights should only illuminate momentarily.Cheers.Q>

"But when I turn the ENGINE BLEED SWITCHES to the OFF position, then the OFF lights illuminate and NOT the VALVE lights. Is this normal??"They are the valve lights for the bleed air engine valves.. so those are the correct ones that will illuminate.. The others are the ISOLATION VALVES.. and are different..Craig

Craig Read, EGLL

Guest dt1951

KingCat (although you are supposed to use your real name here), I have found it so much easier to just load it with the engines running and then shut everything down. It really takes very little time to bring the aircraft to a cold and dark status. You will know that all is shutdown (although you will probably never find the aircraft in thie situation in real life, in the U.S. anyway) and can then go through your start up sequence.

>"But when I turn the ENGINE BLEED SWITCHES to the OFF>position, then the OFF lights illuminate and NOT the VALVE>lights. Is this normal??">>They are the valve lights for the bleed air engine valves.. so>those are the correct ones that will illuminate.. The others>are the ISOLATION VALVES.. and are different..>>CraigThanks for your explanation. At least I know I'm switching the right switches ;)A bit strange though that the checklist states that the VALVE lights should illuminate. It would have been better to state that the OFF lights should illuminate.Jon