Sign in to follow this  
Subs

Question About B744 EICAS Logic

Hi All :-waveI've been wondering about these two items for sometime.1) I noticed the little display that shows the landing alt, duct pressure, deltaP, cabin alt & rate, fuel remaining etc at the bottom of the upper EICAS dissapears when any lower EICAS pages are displayed, except for the ENG page and the ECS page.The little display area shows info related mostly to pneumatics - and I can understand why all the "pneumatic" related items in the cockpit would show when the ECS page is displayed. That granted, but on the other hand wouldn't you want to display a diversified set of info on various screens? That is, why duplicate info, like duct pressure when the ECS page already displays it? Therefore wouldn't it be more logical to have this info when the ECS page is *not* displayed. So if the HYD Synop or ELEC Synop page is up, you *would* want pneumatic info on the uppper EICAS? Not the other way around?For example, if you have the FUEL page up, you can't monitor duct pressure, or cabin alt/rate at the same time. But if you select ECS page up, you've already got duct pressure, and by an unusual position of the outflow valves, it'd give you a indication that something isnt right, in which case the little display seems redundant. Yet if any of the other pages are up (except ENG), the little display no longer displays, and you have *no* info about pneumatics at all.So I was wondering if there is a explination why the little display behaves the way it does?2) What is the advantage of inhibiting the ELEC page during an autoland? If the ELEC page, why not FUEL, DOORS, HYD etc as well? I have a feeling I read somewhere about the FAILSAFE/PASSIVE mode ops, where the ELEC page could be distracting by providing 'incorrect' info? Or have I got it completely wrong? :-hmmmThanks,Subin

"Yet if any of the other pages are up (except ENG), the little display no longer displays, and you have *no* info about pneumatics at all."Actually, the display will also pop-up if you have certain failures of the ECS system. It's not only limited to certain selections of synoptics.I don't understand the purpose of the elec synoptic inhibit either. It would be just as distracting as, say, a Gear synoptic (under normal ops). Perhaps, as you say, the LAND3 to LAND 2 reversion is the key.Why not post a message on the PPRuNe "Tech Log" forum? They usually come up with good answers.Cheers.Q>

Thanks again Q,I read the Pprune forums as well, but most of it is over my head. Kind of reminds you, as much as I enjoy flying FS9/FSX and PMDG etc, pprune is a reality check that real world ops is much more complex than what flightsimmers like me experience. I would love the 'both pilots out, can you land this B744???!!!!' scenario though :-)....well ok, maybe in a Sim lol :-)Subin