Sign in to follow this  
Guest threedeltamax

747-400:QOTS & 747-400X:QOTS Wheel Profile(s)

Hey, This is a small item, in an overall excellent package. My issue I would like to raise, is that of the profile of the rubber part of the wheels. The 747 has the profile modelled (I guess is an effcient manner) with the wall of the tyre quite flat, whereas the real aircraft has curved sidewalls; loaded and unloaded. The rubber actually curves outward from where it is sealed to the hub, and then curves back to the flat of the tyre. I have tried my best to draw what I mean, please refer:Perhaps PMDG would be kind enough to update the model - but I understand the huge amount of work that would cause, and why It may/may not appear. No harm in asking, right?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

This is another compromise item. The 747 has 18 tires. In flight simulator, you need to double this, since there are two versions of every tire (one still, one blurred). While it would be wonderful to recreate every curve, what you are asking would add aproximately 150 polygons to each tire. 150 polygons x 18 tires x 2 versions = 5,400.That's not 5400 total for all the tires. That's 5400 EXTRA. We optimize where we can. This is one of those places.5,400 polygons may not seem like a lot, but when you add it together with a few thousand trees, miles of simulated mountains, thousands of autogen houses, and not to mention the rest of the airplane, you begin to see the problem....Best,Vin ScimonePMDGwww.precisionmanuals.comhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/priv/img/forum/sig_pmdg.jpg

Thank-you Vin, for the quick replyI thought the answer would be along those lines, but like I said - never hurts to ask. :)

Please don't take this as any kind of insult, but that is seriously splitting hairs. In all my simming hours, (and I have plenty starting from FS5.0) I have never taken that close a look at the tyres.Goran

Good observation, Matt. PMDG does a great deal at being attentive to detail. Like Vin said, there are compromises to me made. But it's nice to know that people like yourself are always looking to improve the realism.