Sign in to follow this  
jonss1948

737 Night Lighting

I have a couple of the PMDG aircraft and I fly my 737-800 all the time. Because I get much better framerates, I seldom install the VC, thus, I am unable to access the OHD flood lights. Consequently, because of my 60yo eyes, night flying becomes difficult for me, using the lighting provided for the 2D panel. Is there a way of installing other lighting or accessing the OHD Floodlight switch from the 2D panel?Jon

Interior lights is SHIFT-L is it not ?

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Interior lights is SHIFT-L is it not ?
Yes it is but it does'nt turn on the Dome Light on the OHP. That's only available from the VC/OHP. It's probably not that big a deal it's just that the stark contrast affects my impaired vision. If I could find a way of just lowering the contrast it would be a help.Jon

Maybe because I'm about your age... I understand what you're asking; however, there's not much to do except adjusting the monitor that I've found.Flying real world VFR at night I turn the panel lighting down very very low to accomodate the outside world. I also use a paper clip to mount pieces of paper in front of a few lamps that don't dim (not a problem I bet for the big guys). However, night instrument flying is the opposite especially for approach... the lights are turned up inside where my attention is turned to, to make it easy to see every wiggle of the needle.I've learned to accept flying the simulator the same way I fly IFR at night and forgo the pretty scenery outside. Real world approach lighting can be much brighter than FS9 does it... I've seen VASIs from more than 40 nm out and one clear summer night I had the runway lights at that distance.

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan,I'm fast coming to the conclusion that my monitor is the main problem. It's not considered a good one by any means (Mitsubishi Diamond View 19") and I think it's becoming a bit long in the tooth, like its owner.However, there have been many panels written by others that provide a range of panel lighting. This is by no means a criticism of PMDG as their charter is for maximum realism but I do have some freeware panels which are far more conducive to night flying than the 2D PMDG panel as the ambient lighting can be set a number of ways, which reduces my personal eyestrain.I envy you being able to actually fly in the real world. It was a dream of mine, once and I was having lessons in a Piper Cherokee. Then this tall, beautiful blonde made me lose focus.Jon