Sign in to follow this  
Guest D17S

Widescreen and PMDG

Guest D17S

I've just got the rig running in (Nvidia) Dual-View on a 19" and a new 42"-er. I have to select the 42" as the primary monitor, but when I do, FS9 gives me a 1920X1080 resolution selection in the hardware tab. The sim loads up the PMDG 744, and runs fine on the 42"-er at 1920 X 1080. Every thing works. I spend some real time in that real seat and the view feels "life sized." Actually, it feels as if I'm tOO close to the panel. Sugggestion for the new 744 & MD11: Allow and option to ReMOve the pilot and 1st Oberver's seat. At least for the PMDG airplane (and I suspect most others with these big views) the pilot seat needs to be RemoVed. At this screen size, it feels that I'm sitting too close to the panel. I want to pan straight back to get further away from the panel and to increase my field-of-view. However when I pan straight back, that darn pilot's seat is in the way. I'm immediately embedded in the seat back and find my view blocked by that virtual lambskin seat cover. Even moving the seat to a max back position is not near enough. The 1st observer's seat need to go too. That's about where I want to be.Here's another observation: The view field-of-view does not expand at this wide screen resolution. It provides the same field-of-view as the standard sized (non-wide screen) 19" sitting right next door. Is there a switch in config file that need to be set?The first approach I flew felt all off kilter. I'm used to sitting in the middle of the screen. With this life sized cockpit, the middle is the cockpit's pedestal. I had been trying to fly this thing straddling the pedestal (ouch!) and it really thew off my lateral judgment. I had to move my chair over to the left side of the screen so I was actually in the pilots position. And BTW, my 6600GT is getting 10-15+ FPS in FS9 and the PMDG Vcockpit, but that's about all I've ever gotten. Gotta say though, any AA is just a dream. Even without AA, the cockpit's fine. The life sized PFD/ND/MCP/ETC look great. Outside is a different story. Jaggies everywhere. This about the same performance I have been getting at 12x10 with AA. With the Q6600 and a decent Vcard, this is gonna be a dream.Boy, I'm really wondering about the THTG setup. These 19X10 resolution, 42' monitors are 800 bucks these days. Two, spanned 42" monitors will give a life sized forward cockpit. If I could pan straight back a ways further, then widen the FOV, this single 42" will be gettin' real close.So, is there a wide screen setting I've missed? Hey Matts. Go get a 46"-er and what I'm talking about. It's deductible! In a year or two these big screen monitors are going to be entirely ordinary.

Hey Sam-Sounds great- would love to see the display. I am using a 22" wide screen and love it (huge improvement from my old 19" standard LCD). I hope to go to the 30" LCD, but that will probably be as big as I can go for now- and even that will require 2 8800GTS in SLI to run the resolution and frame rates I like.From our previous discussions, I don't like any lack of smooth pursuit (i.e. all turns including taxi need to be smooth without any jumpiness at all), and I have sacrificed textures (don't even run AE7) as I find that I can't run anything without getting a few jumps here or there. The only addons I have kept are the Cielosim Environment, Glacier Bay and Innsbruck (Holger ROCKS) and Old Kai Tak. Still on the hunt for good freeware scenery that DOES NOT IMPACT FRAME RATES AT ALL!Still, the thought of an 8 x 8 PFD, ND and EICAS screens makes me salivate! If you have any screen shots with something to give them perspective- I'd love to see them.Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest D17S

I finally got the widescreen function working.Under this heading in your FS9.cfg file:DISPLAYadd the line: WideViewAspect=True FSX already has the "wideviewaspect" line under the DISPLAY heading in its FSX.cfg file, but it is defaulted to "=False." Just change it to "=True." Phil said they didn't have time to add it into FSX as a GUI clickbox. You have to go in and change it manually. Happily, adding this line under the same heading, works for FS9 too. This feature is letting me pull back far enough to get the entire forward cockpit plus both of the forward sideview windows. Gotta scoot the FO's seat all the way back to get that full right view. The Capt's seat is pre-scooted. Quite a view at 1920X1080 over 42"s. Come on G92. My poor ol' 6600 is about to explode.