Sign in to follow this  
craig_read

Question for the painters

Hi,I'm totally new to painting so please be patient with me.. Ok I'm trying to produce my own repaint of the 747-400PAX.. So I downloaded the kit, and I've drawn up my fuselages how I want them (remembering to reverse the right side).. All this is done.. and now I am trying to cut them to side to fit on the template.. The problem is.. the size of the fuselage on the template (where they are stacked FRONT, MIDDLE, REAR from top to bottom) is different to the sizes in the coloured template.. they don't match.. Each image is slightly taller.. or slightly longer.. Am I doing something wrong here?CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Ok update.. I think I have it sorted now.. I've set up all my images for the aircraft.. sorted the texture folder.. added the new entries to Aircraft.cfg.. however my aircraft is blank where I've added my textures.. some problem with the colours I'm using? Do I have to save in a strange format?CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Ok I've sorted this now! lol.. ok for those who are new to painting the PMDG 747 this might be useful..First download their paint pack.. you'll need to get photoshop or paintshop pro.. as the layers are needed to get the desired effect..Open the files and do your painting.. on the right hand side you'll need to do everything mirrored.. otherwise your text will be backward..I found it's difficult to tell which are on the right hand side and which aren't within the "PMDG_747_Externals_T.psd" file.. so I thought I'd include this..1 - The right hand side of the tail is on the LEFT.. and upside down as you look at the image..2 - The winglets that require reversing are the top two on the file (winglets are on the left hand side)3 - The engines are labelled anyway, well the RB211's are anyway and it's obvious because the RR logo is reversed.4 - The fuselage is obvious as the one with the name RIGHT requires reversing...Hint on the fuselage, don't go too high because it crops at the top of the plane and doesn't look as good..Anyway.. once you've completed your repaints.. Overlap them exactly with the sections in the Template file.. it's fiddly (I'm probably doing it a long winded way) but it can be done.. I then used PAINT to edit it to make it exactly the same as the original.After you've done this download this tool.. http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htmThere is an article on oh how to use it here..http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...sg_id=663&page=Convert your repainted files to DX3.. as shown in the post above..After that copy the files from a standard PMDG livery to a folder and name that Texture.mypaint.. or whatever you wish to call it.. Then copy your repainted files into this folder and overwrite when asked..Once that is completed create your addition to the aircraft.cfg file.. I simply copied a previous one and changed the information to reflect what I wanted..Once complete.. start up MSFS and see if it works!This was my first attempt at this and it's not gone too badly.. and it's actually not quite as difficult as I thought when you use a program like paintshop.. Although my paints are nothing like the standard of those often seen.. it's fun to know how to do it I guess and to have a go..Thought I'd share that with you all... hope it's not out of place in this forum..CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Craig,many thanks for sharing what you learned. You inspired me to have a go at it myself! :)

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------