Sign in to follow this  
BAW9DV

Out-Of-Memory errors - now I need specific help on this

Guest D17S

"When the OOM occurred, my page file usage according to Task manager was 1.18GB (I have 2GB of RAM)." Just a reminder: 1)Page File, 2) Physical ram and the 3) Vram/operating system's reserve allocations are 3 EnTireLy separate system features. Your problem is occurring because of Item #3. Page file and Physical ram are different things and NoT related to your problem. XP and Vista monitor their own use of (item #3) Vram/operating system's reserve allocations and will Shut You Down when it hits the Vram/operating system's reserve allocation 2 gig barrier. Why? Doesn't sound too bright to me either, but (maybe) our 32 bit system 'founding fathers' never had the faintest idea we would EveR use all 2 gigs of this reserve allocation. In any case, this has Nothing to do with page file or physical ram.There is a link in that previous thread to the program used to monitor this op system reserve allocation level. Run this program and monitor this ram allocation with . . . then without this (or AnY) suspect addon. Take it in steps. Step one: Is this addon causing (or triggering) the problem?

Sam,thank you very much! I was blaming the page file and apparently, I was wrong. I will check that program and see what happens.Well, I learned something new. :)Regards,Jure

Sam,Thanks for your input to this thread...>>Just a reminder: 1)Page File, 2) Physical ram and the 3)Vram/operating system's reserve allocations are 3 EnTireLyseparate system features. Your problem is occurring because ofItem #3. Page file and Physical ram are different things and NoT related to your problem. <>XP and Vista monitor their own use of (item #3) Vram/operatingsystem's reserve allocations and will Shut You Down when ithits the Vram/operating system's reserve allocation 2 gigbarrier. Why? Doesn't sound too bright to me either, but (maybe) our 32 bit system 'founding fathers' never had the faintest idea we would EveR use all 2 gigs of this reserve allocation. In any case, this has Nothing to do with page file or physical ram.<>There is a link in that previous thread to the program used tomonitor this op system reserve allocation level. Run thisprogram and monitor this ram allocation with . . . then without this (or AnY) suspect addon. Take it in steps. Step one: Is this addon causing (or triggering) the problem? <

Lee James
Desktop Pilot - www.virtualairlinepilot.org

Instagram - virtualairlinepilot_lee
Check out my Adventure Videos & FS Reviews on YouTube at VirtualAirlinePilot !

spacer.png

Guest D17S

Here's that initial thread. The page file is used by the op system to store data it believes might be needed quickly. This is the same (basic) purpose as physical ram, but page file data is kept on your hard drive (Don't try to find it. It's well hidden). People love to mess with the page file, but Don'T! XP/Vista set it up correctly. A user's best bet is to just leave it alone. IF it has been messed with, put it back. This thread had the details . . . and the other stuff. http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...d=136383&page=4

Hi Sam,Ok, today with the assistance of my brother-in-law who is over from the Philippines (he's a software engineer), we changed the settings in Virtual Memory and set up a 2GB area on both the main C: drive (250Gbs of which 130GB is free) and the second internal F: drive (80GBs with 70GB free) - total 4GBs. When we checked, it was set at 1536MB which is way too low when I have 2GBs of system RAM.I ran the same flight out of Sharm-El-Sheikh to Gatwick that I flew on Sunday when the OOM first occured right on the final approach to Gatwick. Again today, it occured almost at the same spot as on Sunday - turning finals into EGKK (Gatwick Xtreme by Gary Summons UK2000).Next thing to do as you say, is to remove (from the scenery library list) all the add-on or non-default scenery and fly the trip again. Hopefully no OOMs this time!Then add the scenery areas back, one by one and watch for the OOM.I'll keep you posted. It may be later in the week until I try it as I have a big public show to attend this weekend.Take care,Lee

Lee James

spacer.png

Guest D17S

Ooops. There is only ONE page file! It should be on your boot drive. Do not set up a page file on any other drive. Do not set up two page files. One page file, on your boot drive.. . . and Do NoT hard-set the page file (virtual memory) size. Let the system control the page file size . . . "Make sure your XP (or Vista) Page File (virtual memory setting) is set to "System managed size." (Control panel > System> Advanced> Performance> Advanced> Virtual Memory> Change)"This is all good computer hygiene . . . but page file (aka, "virtual memory") does not cause this type of OOM issue.

Hello Sam,>>Ooops. There is only ONE page file! It should be on your bootdrive. Do not set up a page file on any other drive. Do not set up two page files. One page file, on your boot drive. . . . and Do NoT hard-set the page file (virtual memory) size. Let the system control the page file size . . . <>"Make sure your XP (or Vista) Page File (virtual memorysetting) is set to "System managed size." (Control panel >System> Advanced> Performance> Advanced> Virtual Memory>Change)" This is all good computer hygiene . . . but page file (aka,>"virtual memory") does not cause this type of OOM issue. <

Lee James

spacer.png

Guest D17S

The term "VM" seems to be used for just about anything these days. It's not "hard- set" either! There's really no need to actually be technical though. Reset XP 's page file to system controlled (or not). If XP needs more "VM" (aka "page file," in this case), it will give you a message "Adjusting Virtual Memory" (or some such) and just do it all by itself. Moving the page file and hard-setting limits are great fun, but entirely for techi bragging rights. Just start fresh and start adding back in the addins. You already have the perfect strategy. But if you're interested, read those 2 Anandtech articles. Is this what they are talking about what you are getting? Notice how the term "Virtual" is used. To use this term, one must agree on the context. It can mean pagefile, but it can also mean this kernel based, 32 bit operating system's preset, 2 gig, program reserve allocating thingy. This thingy thing is absolutely NoT pagefile . . . but absolutely is what's causing these FS related OOM problems. We need to find some other name for it. Here's your techi assignment. What does Anandtech call it?

Guest aarskringspier

There is an FS9 dev blog about this issue; its a limitation of the 32 bit program of FS9 and FSX. There is a workaround I dont recall what it is youll have to find it on Phils Blog. Weve just overloaded what FS can reasonably handle with no problems.

Hi,Well - touch wood, it seems that my Out-Of-Memory errors might be cured at last!Over the last day or so, I deleted all the add-on scenery that I have installed since these issues began. Not completely deleted of course, just deleted them from the Scenery Library listing in FS9 (I have left the add-on scenery installations in place and captured images of the listing order for later but have removed them from FS, thus allowing the database to re-draw itself).Yesterday, was the South African Spring Flyin to Cape Town. I already have mesh terrain for the African continent and had the Cape Town airport scenery installed. I left this installation untouched along with all my UK2000 series UK airport installations. Everything else was pretty much removed.I powered up the British Airways PMDG 747-400 (G-CIVC) on the ramp at Gatwick around 8:30am local time yesterday and loaded 153 Metric tonnes (337,307lbs) of fuel into her tanks for the following routing out to Cape Town:-EGKK BOGN1M SID DRAKE DCT SITET UN859 BALAN UL152 MAKOX UN860 VLC DCT HAMRA UA34 MOS UA604 SIHAR UM114 BIDOM UG855 NY UA608G TATAT UA608 TYE DCT DIBSI UR983 GAPAK DCT TERBA DCT IBLOK DCT WBV UN188 XUDAN UN188 OKNOL UQ45 EVUKI EVUKI1A STAR FACT RWY 01 with VectorsDistance was 5367 nautical miles and this route was flown the day before yesterday by the real world BA057 out of Heathrow. On a foggy day with pretty horrible visibility, we headed out to runway 26L and waited for a 767 to depart before blasting down the runway and lifting into the dreary, fog-laden sky. We passed 8000 feet before the fog finally gave way to blue skies with flat clouds on top of the fog. Flying online with VATSIM, I was one of 12 British Airways Virtual pilots who flew this trip and I had lots of company on the BAV Company Frequency, all the way down over Africa.The flight took 11 hours and 37 minutes with some 50 minutes of this flight spent in the hold over ROBBIN ISLAND (5 turnes) before being vectored slowly down in the darkness to an easy approach into runway 01.And guess what? NO OUT-OF-MEMORY ERRORS AT ALL! The aircraft perfomed flawlessly through nearly 12 hours of online flight with ACARs, SB, ServInfo and ActiveSky all running togther on the one PC! It was a great trip finished with a manual landing from 9 miles out (the controller took me on a 19 mile final being number 3 to land)*******************************It seems that I can confirm the problems caused by some scenery installations with the use of the PMDG 744. Note that I never got this with the 737 product - until I added LHR2008. Now it remains to further test fly this setup and then slowly add scenery back to see which ones inhibit the use of this aircraft and cause issues.My thanks to those of you here who have offered advice and support. And my thanks to Robert and PMDG for a wonderful aircraft which I just love to fly - wife and children permitting!Take care,kind regards,Lee

Lee James

spacer.png

Hi Lee,wow, you sure had fun yesterday! A great description of your flight and I am glad that no OOM's plagued it. It seems that it is s "special" combination of the PMDG B744 and Aerosoft's LHR. If you go over to their forum, you'll see a quite lively discussion about it. I have, for now, cancelled all flights to LHR with the B744, but the good ol' RFP 742 does it quite nicely and without a hitch. :)I am 100% that the PMDG B744 is not to blame here (not by itself in any case), because I made a lot of flights with her and never, ever had an OOM before. And like you say, the B737 handles LHR perfectly well.Regards,Jure

Hello Jure,Thanks for the kind words....Yes, I had fun yesterday! I have not tried the PMDG744 with LHR2008 since I removed the scenery as stated. What I might do is re-install the LHR2008 scenery and repeat the test I did when I first got the problem.I took off from LHR2008 and climbed out on the WUBUN sid, to 20,000 feet heading up to Honily. Then I circled back to Honily and flew the BNN4A star into Heathrow. When I got within 14 miles of the airport, the OOM appeared and FS actually crashed to the desktop.Now that I have hopefully nailed down the OOM error by removing the scenery that obviously was in conflict with the 744, I will re-install LHR2008 and see if it works. There have been users who have successfully flown the PMDG744 into and out of the new LHR2008 scenery with no issues so its worth a try.I'll check the forums over there! Thanks for the tip!Cheers,Lee

Lee James

spacer.png

Guest WEA-JHD

This is an interesting thread to read. I have the same problem as well, but this is not to do with the Aerosoft LHR. My problems appear when i try to land at Flytampa's Vienna. For some strange reason i always get the OOM when on final approach with the PMDG 744 at that airport.I also got 2gb of ram and Win XPHowever i suspect this is an Ultimate Terrain problemRegardsJan

Jan,for what it's worth, I also have FlyTampa Vienna, but no Ultimate Terrain. My every flight to LOWW in the PMDG B744 was successful. And I had quite a few, since I fly in Europe a lot. Regards,Jure

>The term "VM" seems to be used for just about anything these>days. It's not "hard- set" either! There's really no need to>actually be technical though. Reset XP 's page file to system>controlled (or not). If XP needs more "VM" (aka "page file,">in this case), it will give you a message "Adjusting Virtual>Memory" (or some such) and just do it all by itself. Moving>the page file and hard-setting limits are great fun, but>entirely for techi bragging rights. Just start fresh and start>adding back in the addins. You already have the perfect>strategy. >>But if you're interested, read those 2 Anandtech articles. Is>this what they are talking about what you are getting? Notice>how the term "Virtual" is used. To use this term, one must>agree on the context. It can mean pagefile, but it can also>mean this kernel based, 32 bit operating system's preset, 2>gig, program reserve allocating thingy. This thingy thing is>absolutely NoT pagefile . . . but absolutely is what's causing>these FS related OOM problems. We need to find some other name>for it. Here's your techi assignment. What does Anandtech call>it? This is exactly right based on what I know as well...That is absolute nonsense where someone said that your pagefile should be at least twice the size of your RAM. The OS swaps to the pagefile (aka "disk thrashing") when it runs out of physical memory - on a 2GB machine this will almost never happen unless you're running a demanding game like FS or doing big time photo/video/music editing. If I had 16GB of RAM for instance (which is possible on 64 bit machines), that would be absolutely ridiculous to say I needed 32GB of pagefile lol... The whole point of having huge amounts of RAM is to minimize any pagefile use at all.Leave it set to system managed guys, the OS is smart enough to resize the file when it needs to.The OOM errors are technically a user address space error, not anything having to do with physical RAM or the pagefile. It's a limitation of 32 bit operating systems that we're starting to push up against. Hopefully 64 bit will start to catch on and we'll be rid of this.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com