Sign in to follow this  
Guest djprem

SID Basic Understanding

Guest djprem

I know someone will prbably get flying lessons on something but PMDG forum has to date been very helpful and I've not been told off so I thought I'd ask.I'm trying to understand SIDs, for example looking at the EGLL MIDHURST, off RWY27R how do I do this correctly and exactly?What the LOND8, D12 stand for?Thanks

Dear 'Thanks' please sign your name to posts.Best way to start is to get a copy of the charts. Since I'm not familiar with UK I can't help much with the specific questions but I've found that by looking at the charts for other locations that things start to make sense.Procedures are flown as charted unless modified by ATC instructions.

Dan Downs KCRP

At the top off the SID you'll see the London VOR station : London Lon 113.60. LON D8 is 8 DME form the London Lon VOR Station, 8 = 8 miles.The same goes for LON D12, 12 = 12 miles.Hope this helps,Ken

Guest djprem

Thank you that makes much more sense now, can the same SID be set into the FMC?Danil

Guest tomahawk_pa38

danil,that's one of the things the FMC is for. Once you have selected your takeoff runway then you will be 'offered' the available SIDs for that runway down the left hand side of the FMC screen. Select the one you want (you do this by looking at the charts and by looking at what you first waypoint is on your route. For example if you are leaving Gatwick (EGKK) for say Barcelona, then you select runway 26 on the FMC and this will offer you (amongst others) a BOGNA SID. As your route (taken from Routeplanner.com) has the first waypoint as BOGNA, then that's the SID you select and it will appear on the nav display. Take off, hit A/P and select LNAV and the plane will fly it including keeping to the speed and altitude constraints included in the SID.Same for STARs when landing.Hope that helps.