Sign in to follow this  
Guest dougjc

Setting correct flaps on the 737

Guest dougjc

As you can see, my vref is 138 & I set a flap setting of 30 in the FMC. I am unsure how to read the PFD indicator to match flap setting with the correct speeds. I see the 5 setting below the speed bug. At what point do I set flaps to 10? What is the white bug between ref & 5? What does the "up" mean just above 200?Thanks, Doug http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/182935.jpg

>As you can see, my vref is 138 & I set a flap setting of 30>in the FMC. I am unsure how to read the PFD indicator to>match flap setting with the correct speeds. I see the 5>setting below the speed bug. At what point do I set flaps to>10? What is the white bug between ref & 5? What does the "up">mean just above 200?Doug,You set your next flap i.e. 10 when passing through the 5 mark. IIRC the green flap markers shows the minimum manoeuvre speed for respective flap setting.The UP marker shows you minimum clean speed i.e. all flaps up or in.The white mark is for flaps 15 IIRC. Used for go around guidance.Hope it helps,

Guest dougjc

Thank you, by passing thru you mean thru the pink speed bug, right. What is IIRC? Thanks, Doug

Doug,Yes, when the pink speed bug passes down through say 10 you select next flap which in this case would be 15.IIRC stands for "If I recall correctly".Cheers,

Something else I saw:Always set your heading bug on top during the entire flight! That's good practice.If ATC tells you to avoid traffic, you push heading select and then change direction. If your heading bug is not on top, you loose too much time.In case of go-around, you need your heading bug on top too, else you end up anywhere :)