Sign in to follow this  
Chrjs

Performance and difficulty

Hi,i have fsx and flying around with the wonderful 767 from level-d. i love complex aircraft and widebodies and would like to purchase the 747.however i don't have a highend computer. i can run the 767 w/o traffic quite smooth in fsx. i don't care too much about the look of theoutside, but want to experience as much realism in flying the aircraft as possible. Has somebody both aircraft and can tell me if the performance of the pmdg747 is much worse than the level-d 767?second, i'm really into the systems of the 767 (also with the fs2crew version). How different are the systems of theses two aircraft? would the change be a hard one and would it be a long learning phase?thanx for your help

I have both. Both are excellent. The systems are not identical but they are very similar. The FMC has some subtle differences: each product has its own (relative) strengths and weaknesses in this area. Probably the single most noticeable systems difference is that fuel management on the 747 is more complex than on the 767 (if you want to do it by the book). But if you have mastered the 767 then you will have no trouble at all in using the 747.In my view, the areas in which the PMDG 747X scores more highly than the 767 are (i) it has a better-looking 3D virtual cockpit; (ii) its sound effects (particularly the engine effect) are better; (iii) its EICAS system; (iv) its EHSI is (I think) slightly more fully modelled, though the differences are extremely subtle; and (v) its TCAS system, which allows you to see not only conflicting traffic but other traffic in range.The areas in which the LevelD product scores more highly than the 747 are (i) higher framerates. The 747 halves my framerates; the 767 only reduces them by about one quarter; whether this means that the performance of the 747 is "much worse" than the 767 depends on what you can put up with; (ii) much more readable and useable 2D communications pedestal and throttle quadrant: this makes a big difference when flying online with VATSIM; (iii) ability to use scroll wheel to control MCP inputs in 3D virtual cockpit; (iv) option to use virtual co-pilot to control (eg) flaps; and (v) stability: unfortunately FSX is more prone to CTDs when using the 747 than when using the 767.That said, both products are terrific fun and of the highest quality available. While they have striking similarities (as you'd expect from high quality simulations of two Boeings), they are pleasingly different to use. You might want to follow this link for PMDG's own advice on performance:http://ops.precisionmanuals.com/wiki/747-4...%26_PerformanceThis link may help you work out roughly what performance you can expect:http://www.precisionmanuals.com/file_libra.../744xmatrix.pdfTim