Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Lissart

747 FMC programming for training flights

Colleagues,Imagine that you want to takeoff from airport A, fly to airport B (somewhere nice and quiet!) for practice approaches, circuits, T&Gs etc, to then return to airport A for the final landing. (I know that this goes on for 747 training in the real world at an airport in the UK...). How does one program the FMC in order to have the approaches at B in the system but then also the route back to A and the approach there? You can't have two destinations? Also given that one might wish to do a number/variety of approaches - visual, ILS, NDB etc at B. I can think of a number of ways to do this but they are not very efficient and something (usually the return to A) gets lost resulting in a lot of fussing. Can one activate the "route 2" option for say the return to A in flight? I know that the 737 FMC has an "Alternate Destination" page, which would be helpful if one considered the return to A as a divertion.If one chooses to think of the return as a divertion procedure, how does one actually do this, as somewhere one neds to change the destination?Regards.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Dear Ms/Mr Colleague,Please read through the forum guidelines and sign all your posts with your real name.RTE 2 should be good to use for a 'diversion' back to A. But you have to remember that the FMC is primarily set up for use in line flight, not for training circuits and manoeuvres. I think the latter is better done partly by hand as it sharpens the pilot's hand flying skills as well, and not his button-pushing skills. ;-)Hope it helps,

There's really no problem with changing destination in flight though. For going to airport B just set it up like you normally would with B in the DEST field on RTE page 1. Then after you're done, just put airport A into that same DEST field and select an approach from DEP/ARR etc...