Sign in to follow this  
pbelb

enhanced support for touch screens

Hi there PMDG guys!I recently got a touch-screen as a secondary display.I must say, it's really cool to be able to have it for the FMC and be able to 'touch' the buttons, and see the response on-screen.Almost as good as having a hardware based fmc, but possibly better, because it can show any type of item such as this.However, the same can not be said of most of the other panels.when you realise that this touch-panel I have does not really support the secondary mouse click (only the primary), you suddenly realise the problem:none of the functions that require a secondary mouse button click are able to be performed.perhaps there is a switch that can be used (if there is, let me know) that causes the click input to do the increment/decrement based on click location instead of mouse button clicks?there are two solutions I can imagine would be workable:clicking on the left of the button, the value is decremented, while clicking on the right, the value is incremented.also, another option would be to click on the item to adjust, and then 'drag' up/down or left/right to decrement/increment.I don't see why both options could not be available, and allow the user to configure a setting that controls what the response is.how about it?keep up the good work guys!peter

Guest smjfreeman

Hi Peter,I've been in the same place as you, and found a great little utility to use with your touchscreen here:http://www.jerrykindall.com/download/softrightclick.rarIt allows you to tap and hold (delay adjustable) the screen to get a right click...I set mine pretty quick - so a fast tap = left click, and if I remain pressed for a 1/4 second it turns into a right click :)Hope this helps. It cetrianly did help with the pedestal and OH. Try it.Cheers.

Peter and Mike:Would you please expound on your touch screens- make, model etc? Also, if you have any pictures- it would be greatly appreciated! I fly ONLY 3D/VC so please take any screen captures that way. Thanks for the hyperlink- I will check it out.Thanks for your time!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Gigabyte P35 DS3R | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 2 x 320GB WD Caviar RAID 0 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Hi Mike,thank you for replying.that's a very cool little tool. it will almost certainly make using the touch screen functionality of the elo 1747 screen I have less painful.much appreciated.unfortunately, I suspect it will be of limited use for adjusting the altitude, but is probably pretty good for just about anything that just needs small numbers of right-clicks.regards,peter.

Mike,something else:I have a behringer bcf-2000. it's a midi control surface, primarily for audio purposes.it's a very interesting device.it has 8 moving faders, and another 8 rotary controls.the rotary controls have led's that can be configured to indicate the percentage of rotation.the faders can be sent midi values which cause the fader position to be moved to reflect that position.what I did was experiment with this and the SimConnect sdk capability via C# to cause the flaps, spoiler and throttle controls to be 'reflected' onto the faders, and vice-versa.eg: while the aircraft is in auto-pilot mode, and it's tweaking the throttle settings, the faders move accordingly.also, if you grab the spoiler fader, and change it's position, the change is pushed across to fsx, and the throttle quadrant shows the spoiler handle having been altered, etc.kind of cool.I was thinking about also using some of the rotary controls to do things like alter the radio frequency, speed and altitude controls.the rotary controls also have the ability to detect a 'click' push-button type 'press'. they would map onto the main panel rotary controls quite nicely.of course, the device looks nothing like an aircraft control panel in any way, shape or form.I have wondered though, whether this sort of device would be the bees knees to rip apart and position or extend the controls on to aircraft-looking panels, without having to go to huge amounts of trouble. mind you, I suppose it could be said that dealing with midi messages is a hassle, but, I suspect the economics of the thing could make it fairly attractive compared to the alternativeseg: a hardware fmc could be nice, but it would be difficult when it comes to wanting to try flying some other type of aircraft, which has a completely different looking fmc. that's where the touch screen display is *really* good.in any case, if the hardware route was chosen,the code I've got is very hacky, and I'd want to rework it before I shared it with anyone, but, the hardware is available at reasonable cost, and the software is just a matter of a bit of coding.there are some limitations.eg: the faders won't move much mass, so they're not appropriate for putting into something with truely authentic looking thrust levers and such. but, it's better than nothing.also, if 8 rotary controls are not enough, behringer also have another product very similar, which consists entirely of rotary controls.

Guest smjfreeman

Hi Carl,My touchscreen is a 20" NEC Multisync, purshased off ebay for a few hundre quid a year or two back.Its 1600x1200, but I run it at 1280x1024.Its used for OH, Pedestal, FMC, Pri-Sec EICAS.Will get a picture soon.Cheers.