Sign in to follow this  
veshagoo

no loc or app

it seems when i turn on to final, i click on the ..loc.. and app.. and nothing happens...i often get a msg on the fmc that says..approach vref not selected...i dont know what this means..any help be apprec..rgds ken hanson

747400.jpg

Hi nameless, please sign your posts (forum rules).More details are needed:744 or 737 ? If in the 744 you have to correctly program your approach in your FMC to a runway with an ILS.If in the 737 you have also to tune the ILS frequency in the NAV-1 radio and make it active.Of course, the autopilot must be engaged in both cases.Vref. is the reference speed for the approach. You must select a landing configuration in the APPROACH page of the FMC (in both the 747 and the 737) let's say flaps 40 for the NG and flaps 30 for the Queen, then, depending on your weight, the FMC will calulate the Vref value and your speed tape in the PFD will be populated with the speeds for the flaps deployment procedure.

Oh, sorry I didn't see your name was at the end of your post...

thanks for your quick reply..really appreciate it... im sori it is the pmdg 747-400...do you have any idea why the loc and app are dead..i click on them and nothing happens..could it be because my approach was not set?,,thanks again..rgds ken hanson

747400.jpg

Ken, posting an screenshot of the situation would be very useful to work out a solution for your problem. There are lots of experts in this forum, some of them real world pilots, that will be very glad to help you, but detailed information is needed. Allow me a question...how many times have you read the PMDG-744 manuals?Believe me, only after reading several times that amount of pages one can start to enjoy this piece of art and not being overwhelmed by its fantastic complexity.

Yes the 744 is one of the most complex aircraft in MSFS...For the approach VREF you select that in the FMC INIT REF page..Also within 25nm from the IAF make sure the ILS frequency is active and displaying on the EADI... You can check this by the FMC's nav radio page.Not to sound like a broken record here but it is best to read the manual and follow the tutorial flights step by step.

Ken:About 200-300nm before TOD and BEFORE the Approach Briefing, get the weather for your destination (you can also tune ATIS if online and get the weather and landing runway), look at your charts and select the most likely approach and runway. Select that in your APP DEP page, include appropriate APPROACH, STAR and transitions. This will park the ILS for you (check in NAV RAD- also a good time to set up other navaids and to go to the FIX page for go-around orientation and situational awareness fixes). Verify the routing in the PLAN mode of the ND. In the APPROACH page of INIT REF you can select an approach speed for FLAP25 or FLAP30. Make the appropriate choice for your landing based on landing weights/speeds, type of approach (man land only, CDAP, full hand-flown etc.).I would suggest manually tuning the ILS and not waiting for the auto-tune. Then PARK another alternate ILS just in case it is needed- occupied/blocked runway etc- makes side-stepping much easier!This should allow for ILS indications- but, I'd really like to echo the other posters- RTFM its quite good! Once you have digested that Mike Ray's 747 manual and Bill Bulfer's Big Boeing FMC guide and two excellent additions.Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 - FSGS System Unification | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Asus P5E-Deluxe | e8500 | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Sony 40" Bravia XBR | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 2 x 500GB Seagate Barracuda 32MG SATA2 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Thanks very much guys..really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. i just got a tutorial printed up from Craig Read on a flt from lhr to lax...im going to try that...i tried to put a screenshot on for you but my pix was too big..it was 1.38 mg..on this forum only allowed one half that size...thanks again to you all....best rgds ken hanson

747400.jpg