Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JARS

WinXP memory fix.......

I followed the instructions on pages 57-58 of the MD-11 Introduction manual for the XP memory fix as I am having out of memory problems, but all did not go well.:-( I downloaded and installed the 4G patch and then went to the My Computer/Properties/Advanced/Settings/Edit page and added the /3G as directed so it ended up looking like this........(boot loader)timeout=30default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS(operating systems)multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect/3GAll I added was the /3G.When I rebooted the computer the screen came up in low resolution and the Device Manager showed that the graphics card had been disabled. (NVidia GeForce 8800GTS)I've obviously done something wrong somewhere so could you please point me in the right direction to rectify the problem.Many thanks.John

Hi JohnYou need to add the whole bit as follows: /3GB /Userva=2560Without the /Userva=2560 bit you are only allowing a max of 1GB of RAM left over for the OS and this is not enough!Instruction courtesy of NickN:For XP:disable hidden files and folder, then on the root C: you will find a file named: boot.iniOpen it in notepad and add the following to the end of the OS boot line:/3GB /Userva=2560multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professsional" /fastdetect /3GB /Userva=2560 <---- add it heresave and close the filerebootto set that back to default, simply remove the editOr,Even better is to add this as a switch. You can just copy and paste the below code. NB: Change all () brackets to square ones!!!(boot loader)timeout=5default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS(operating systems)multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 3GB Switch" /3GB /USERVA=2560 /noexecute=optin /fastdetectmulti(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetectThis will then give you the option to switch from one to the other when booting up. The timeout=5 gives you 5 seconds to choose before it selects the first one automatically.All the bestKonrad

Konrad

Guest WilliamH

However there are threads on here that advocate not using Userva=2560 as they still run out of memory using it (and PMDG haven't used it either).http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchalthough as you say Nick Needham advocates it. What a dilemma.How much memory have you actually got?EDIT If you copy Konrad's code be sure to show your correct operating system.William

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

2%
    $640.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now