Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

a3ifs40

Need serious help with FSX Products for X-MAS

hello Ok so i need the advice of the masses.Since I am taking my wife to NYC for the dog show in February she told me she will get me both the 747-400x and the new MD-11 for FSXHowever the thing is I want to be able to fly with no issuesI already have the queen for FS04 and it is great, but i have heard multiple things about the performance of the FSX sim and I want to make sure my system can play it with no OOM or CTD or massive freeze frame problemsI have the followingGateway FX530SWindows XPIntel Core 2 Quad Processor q6600 2.4GHz, 1066mhz FSB 8MB cache2048MB 667Mhz Duel Channel DDR2 SDRAMNVIDIA Geforce 8600GT 512MB Dual DVI w/VGA adapterFSX with no addons but the two PMDG products any and all advice would be greatthanksa3ifs40

HiAs long as you keep your FSX settings reasonable your rig should do fine. Flying the MD-11 with "no issues" is not as simple as it sounds as a lot will depend on how well optimised your OS is as a whole, your screen resolution, and what kind of conditions you happen to be flying in etc. Takeoff and approach, especially in built up areas, can be very demanding.Given how cheap DDR2 RAM is I would perhaps look at getting an extra 2GB (for a total of 4GB) and then adding in the /3G switch as described on various posts in the forum.Konrad

Konrad

G'day, I have nearly the exact same spec system as you and I'm running the MD 11 really well. I've had one OOM issue and that was overflying New York (literally 37000 feet above Manhattan) with traffic enabled and the FSX sliders a little too high. Since adjusting my FSX settings, I have flown the MD11 out of JFK several times with no issues. I am seeing frame rates that are better than both the Level D 767 and Flight1 ATR. I was hesitant about forking out for this aircraft, but believe me it is worth it, in over 200 hours I'm yet to find a serious bug. The only problem you'll have is that after flying the MD11 you'll not want to fly anything else.Pete Carlsen

Guest SkullxBones

I have a Q6600 with 4gb of ram. When I used to run only 2gb of ram, I never had any OOM errors with the 747. When I added the extra 2 gb of ram, I started getting the OOM errors until I used the 3gb switch which solved it.

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

2%
    $540.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now