Sign in to follow this  

Is the GF2 a bottleneck in my system?

Have a P4 1.7GHz 512MB RDRAM, GF2 MX440, Intel 845 Mobo. My FPS are around 20, 15 at Simflyer's with scenery density no higher than dense. However, this is a little slow, and I'd like to crank up the sliders and get better quality. I was thinking perhaps a GF4 4400 or 4600 and 512 MB of PC3000 RAM to replace the RD.Thanks for any help,Greg

IMHO what you are getting is pretty darn good. I really do not see you gaining any more than maybe 5-7fps if you upgrade.John

JetLine Systems Gravity GT2-Windows 10 Home Edition (64-Bit), NZXT H500 Mid-Tower, Black, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 PRO WIFI, LGA 1151, Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900K (5.0GHz Turbo) 8 Core / 16 Thread, Corsair Hydro H60 120mm Liquid Cooling, 32GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3000MHz RGB, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, GDDR6, 750 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply, 5.1 Channel Realtek Integrated HD Audio, Primary SSD Drive:1TB Samsung 970 EVO, M.2 NVMe PCIe (SSD), Secondary SSD Drive:2TB Samsung 970 EVO, M.2 NVMe PCIe (SSD) 4TB WD Black 7200 RPM Mechanical , SimOn Solutions 737 Professional Compact Trainer (MIP, OH). CFY 737 Max Motorized TQ Gold V3, MSFS2020, ProSim 737. 45" Samsung 4K TV.

Really? :-) Anyway, I though the faster the CPU, a faster video card is better. From what I hear a GF2 is more suited to a P3. Cheers,

Yes your Geforce 2 is probably a bottleneck on your system. I also have a Geforce 2 MX400 with an AMD Athlon 1.33Ghz and 256MB DDR Ram. When the Geforce 3s came out one of my friends bought one and he let me try it in my computer for a day and I did notice an increase in fps. In situations where it would start to get choppy the Geforce 3 kept it smooth. Also the 3dMark2001 and 2002 scores doubled. But I'm still stuck with the Geforce 2 and hope to upgrade soon...Jason

Okay, thanks for the advice. I'm only getting ~4000 3D Mark scores, is that about average for my specs?Thanks,Greg