Sign in to follow this  

Auto landing

Hey! well I was just wondering.. I was landing @ KIAD with Ceiling of 200AGL. wind shear, rain, terbulence you name it... I had the ILS active, autopilot on, yet my autoland wasn't working, I pushed taht Autoland status thing? and it always says Auto land inactive or whatever it says.. so I decided to pus the 3 CMD buttons, still nothing. so plese help

you must have all 3 autopilots engaged before you descend below 1500 AGL othrwise it is too late to get autoland ..Michael J.

You might want to take a look at what you are asking the autopilot to do! In the real world, we would probably not be doing an autoland with windshear reported, nor with much at all in the way of turbulence. Also, the crosswind limit in visibility conditions requiring an autoland is 10kts. 200 feet is well above the ceiling requirement, though, so if the autopilot can handle it, you will have little problem handflying the last few feet of the descent if necessary!