Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

autothrottle and concorde in fs2002

When using the Air France Concorde in fs2002,upon engaging autothrottle, set speed is not maintained rather the throttles are throttled back ultimately leading to a stall. I don't seem to be experiencing this with other planes.Any suggestions? I was unable to come up with anything in the archives.Rick

Rick,More info is needed here such as which Concorde package are you using and what altitude are you engaging autothrottle?There are very specific rules for flying Concorde such as engaging afterburners for take-off which are then cancelled at 500AGL. They are switched on again at the accel point (Mach 0.95, 28,000ft and over the ocean) and are switched off at Mach 1.4 (Mach 1.7 in the real-world).Once at the accel point your speed should be 400kts when starting the climb. Increase speed as altitude allows and when you are approaching Mach 1.9 switch to Mach Hold and maintain Mach 2.02 in a cruise climb (500 fpm to FL570).Hope that helps,Cheers,Ray.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,In this instance, I'm using the FS2002 Air France Concorde package by Alejandro Villa. I was going out for a few touch and goes and was attempting to fly by AP and autothrottle. I'm not sure why the autothrottle concsistently throttles me down.Rick

Hi Rick,<>I've searched for his name in AvSim and can't find anything for Concorde. Have you a link to where I can download it?Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi again Rick,I did a search using Google and found the file over at fsfreeware.com.I installed it and tried my test flight from Heathrow on the SN route to JFK.The autothrottle does not work properly on this AIR file and I crashed a couple of times. The basic problem is that N2 does not extend beyond 90 which is far too low. Once I disabled authothrottle I was able to control the aircraft properly and climbed to FL280 (400kts) and then turned on the afterburners. The 5,100fpm climb to FL300 performed okay as did the continued climb (at lower climb rate) all the way up to FL400 by which time I had reached M1.4 and at that point switched the afterburners off.The AIR file seems okay in all other respects but it cannot properly control the autothrottle.You could write to the author and ask him about autothrottle or just control it yourself whilst leaving altitude and heading to the AP but that would mean you couldn't leave it unattended. Maybe a word to the author would be best.Hope that helps,Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

%Thanks for bringing this one out I have the same package and have had the same problem.Could you recommend a decent Concorde package. I have the above + an update which displays afterburners and transparent Visor.ThanksTerry BeddoesEGGP

Hi Terry,I use se-conc.zip by John Schumacher (flightsim.com) but changed the AIR file to one by Paul R. Varn which I found to be the most realistic. The file is 2K2JOYPA.ZIP available at www.flightsim.com.Regarding the Air France Concorde I found the autothrottle behaved itself quite well once the aircraft was in a stable cruise climb at M1.8 at FL500. It just seems to be a problem during the initial subsonic phase of the flight.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray,Thanks for tracking this one down. I'll definitely give your suggested alternatives a try.Rick

Guest Scott Campbell

I use the default 2K Concorde with the Paul Varn air file as well. It's quite stable as long as you don't go over speed. The Concorde tables in 2K2 aren't as good as in 2K, but are okay if you pay attention to the Vmo and Mmo bars. Go Overspeed and the thing will shake out of the sky.One major problem is that in the real thing you use reversers to slow down, and in 2K2 reversers don't work off the ground. I've adapted the air file to fix this with spoilers, but that's totally unreal and it also moves the nose.One essential item missing from all the FS aircraft is proper fuel control. In the real Concorde you have to move fuel from the wings to the center to the tail at Mach 2 to have proper balance, and you can't in FS. The pump only moves between center and tail, so once one is empty, that's it. However, the sim doesn't seem to care about the plane being out of balance when at FL620, Mach 2.25.One final item of note. I maintain altitude and speed with AB on all the way across the pond to TOD (or from Hawaii to Australis in my case).

Hi,Thanks for the info. I've since deleted that particular Concorde package from my system but I'm sure the others will find it useful.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Scott,Much useful info and I suppose one day Concorde will be modelled the same as the real world version. Let's hope the real one is still flying :-)<>That is beyond the physical limits of the airframe. Concorde's ceiling is 60,000ft (normal cruise levels across the pond are FL530 - FL570) and its maximum speed is close to M2.02. Maybe 2.05 but not 2.25. I suspect the real world version would fall apart at that speed.I tned to control throttle manually up to M2.0 at which point I'll trust the A/T to to the business. Descent is also controlled manually.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Scott Campbell

Ray,><being out of balance when at FL620, Mach 2.25.>> >>That is beyond the physical limits of the airframe. >Concorde's ceiling is 60,000ft (normal cruise levels across >the pond are FL530 - FL570) and its maximum speed is close >to M2.02. Maybe 2.05 but not 2.25. I suspect the real world >version would fall apart at that speed.Beyond the real Concorde, yes, but not beyond the FS Concorde. I think most FS aircraft are made out of concrete. ;-) To this day I also still can't even get a proper stall. They just simply stop flying and fall flat out of the sky. A good stall would pitch the nose down, but I've never had that happen since FS98.I also keep trying to adapt the Concorde air files for my space plane, but I would need to hack the program to find the Concorde tables so I can get to FL1000, Mach 6.5. Can't be done, though.

Is there an online guide to flying Concorde? Using the changes to the Aircraft.cfg Using the Autopilot, I have now managed to get it up to FL350 at about Mach .9 then everything started going pear shaped, speed started dropping, losing altitude, autopilot tries for a bigger angle of attack then it stalls, (contrails look like a big dipper) though the nose does not dip. What am I doing wrong? (probably upgrading direct from a passable 737 P.I.C. to Concorde Captain without passing go!!!!)

Guest Scott Campbell

The key thing is keep the Afterburners on after FL200 with full throttle and control your speed with climb speed. Once you pass FL300, start decreasing your climb speed and get up to Mach 1.5 or faster. The max is 2.04. When there, reduce throttle leaving AB on until you are at FL600 where you still leave AB on but reduce throttle.