Sign in to follow this  
Guest BAW191

FIR/UIR boundaries as part of FMC route?

Guest BAW191

Hi,In the Big Boeing FMC User's Guide (page 31), it states that FIR and UIR boundaries can be shown as part of the FMC route to indicate where a boundary begins/ends (e.g. FIR19).Would anyone be able to answer the following for me:1. Is this a basic airline procedure or is it airline specific?2. Are the numbers assigned in order of passing, i.e. the first boundary in the route will be named FIR01, the next FIR02 etc? Or is there some other structure in numbering these points?I'm thinking of implementing this in our BAV company routes, so any information would be more than welcome.Cheers.

Hey Maarten,Advanced apologies here mate, but I havent replied to this post to provide you with an answer because I do not know myself, but I too would like at least some advice regarding this. Therefore, I am bumping it up.It seems posts like this are being ignored because people who frequent this forum are too busy either creating or replying to all of the completely irrelevant threads above that are forcing genuine queries like yours deep down into the belly of this forum.Regards,Lee.

Guest BAW191

Cheers mate,These other posts lately are starting to really annoy me too.I've spoken to a real 767 pilot in the meantime who has explained me the procedure so I've got all the information that I was after....

Guest bisinchi

Hi,So what was the information then?Now that you asked the question, I'm too interested by the answer!!!Regards,Francois

Guest BAW191

Francois,Basically the explanation I got was that for the company this pilot works for (a large Brazilian airline), the HSI is kept clean of phantom waypoints by not inserting these points in either the LEGS or FIX page. The reasoning behind this is that in case of emergency, the pilot needs to be able to view/follow the route or divert from that route, without being "distracted" by phantom waypoints.Should it become necessary to ensure that ATC is contacted when/before their airspace is entered (e.g. China), other reminders can be used such as marking the f/p etc.

Guest bisinchi

Hi,Thanks a lot for sharing that information. That was interesting to know.Regards,Francois

One method of marking ETPs, FIR boundaries and such in the ND is to enter waypoints after the arrival runway. I think one should have a disco after the last of the proper route wps (rwy or any missed approach procedures) since anything behind those aren

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Guest bisinchi

Hi,You mean it would be possible to enter data, even after the data that displays the Go around sequence then?RegardsFrancois

Guest BAW191

Hi Francois,Yes, this is certainly possible.Two examples:The situation below shows the HSI while sitting on runway 09R at Heathrow.In the FMC a SID is entered, together with a route to Edingburgh with an approach for runway 24.The top example shows the missed approach procedure for runway 24 after which I've added a DISCO and the Lambourne VOR. LAM is therefore displayed on the HSI.(P.S.: an easy way of creating a DISCO is to enter AAA and then to DELete it).The bottom example shows a variation. In the RTE 2 page, VOR's BIG and BPK have been entered, creating a line between them. As long as you've got RTE2 selected in the FMC, this line will be displayed. As soon as you re-select RTE1, the dotted line dissapears again. Very handy.Hope this helps.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/96633.jpg

Guest bisinchi

Hi Maarten,Thanks a lot for this little explanation, was well worth it. I'll remember these tricks!!How is it possible to know those tricks? Are they covered in FMC guides (like the Big Boeing FMC guide)?Cheers,Francois

Guest BAW191

Hi Francois,Yes, these tricks are taken from the Big Boeing User's guide. Well worth the purchase...

Guest bisinchi

Hi Maarten,I think that will be a definite buy as soon as 767LDS comes out,Thanks again for the tip,Regards,Francois

Why wait? Since it's aimed at real pilots, the Bulfer book is one of the better references in a library for the 'want to try and do it as close to real as I can' pilot. Grab it now and get a head start :)

Guest bisinchi

Just got it last WE, Going through it now!! Great stuff!!Francois

Guest Tim__757

Actually - we are trained/tipped-off to use "Rte 2" indications to show boundries of Turbulence Plot (TPs) on the display on 757 (sorry, we don't fly 767). In the "old days" the flight engineer would manually produce a TP chart listening to company broadcasts of TP Plots. Now we just make a box or two.What ever you do do not go ACTIVE with rte 2-mess up your whole day...That trick is also useful in ETOPS indications and also nice to know stuff like mid-points etc...Tim__757