Sign in to follow this  

Apologies to Tony

First of all. By asking that my earlier "Bear bashing" thread be locked I cut him off without the opportunity to respond and explain his position. My sincere apologies for that. It was not intentional. The problem with conversations like this in a forum is that its impossible to judge the true meaning and intention behind a person's words. This leads to a lot of misunderstandings. No hard feelings Tony? :-beerchugNow, bear (ouch) with me while I jump on my soap box one more time. People have written that I seem touchy about criticism. Yep. That's me. Just the way I was raised I guess. But maybe if some of you had to plow thru some of the e-mail I get, you'd understand. Bear, and a lot of others like him, spend a ton of hours working for the sake of others for no reason other than the love of the hobby. Yet it seems like there's always someone willing to step up and complain about what they do. And I'm not talking about constuctive criticism. I've gotten lots of e-mail from folks politely pointing out problems with my aircraft, which I'm happy to fix, where practical. Point in case, I'm getting ready to post v2 of the goose, with several fixes. That's not what I'm talking about here. Just think about the comments that started all this. Not only were there some things directed at Bear I didn't like, but what about "it flys like a kite". Put yourself in the position of the person(s) that spent endless hours in front of their PC sweating over that design, only to give it away for nothing, zero, zip, nada and then read that. How do you think they feel? By all means, the freedom of speech gives you the "right" to disagree. But in my book, it doesn't give you the "right" to be insensitive and stomp on people's feelings. Like I said, just the way I am.Ok, now I'm gonna jump off that soap box and trash the bloody thing. Honest. :-rollBack to work on the 757... :-outtaMike Stone

Guest gasebah

This e-mail story is getting pretty boring. I have read this like 15 times now. Get over it. I suppose that miost of this stuff is written by spoiled 13 year olds. I really cannot understand why that still is getting under your skin.Alex

It seems that your being "touchy" puts you in good company with some other great designer/air.file programmers out there........... who are also "touchy", so at least you're in good company! :)L.Adamson

No worries on this end, Mike. I'm glad I was able to explain (via email) how I interpreted your other note. I certainly understand where you come from in terms of having to deal with complaints and criticism when you do so much to produce things for other people.Cheers, and good luck to you!--Tony

Mike I am disapointed in you !I was looking at the post about your 757 and in the simulated picture it does not show ANY wheels at all !!!!!!!!!Do you intend to fix this before release or do i have to send you a crazy Email ? hmmmmmmmYou Really sliped up this time ! :)Anniette xxxxxxxx

Actually I was considering putting baloon tires on it and calling it "Big Foot" :-lol :-yellow1Mike Stone

Guest B52Drivr

Mike,You can please some of the people, some of the time. You can please all of people, some of the time, but you, nor anyone else can please all of the people, all of the time. That's just human nature. Given that we have countless numbers of different individuals who indulge this hobby, and most of them can't even agree on a computer or FS settings . . . (no flames, please . . .my nomex suit is out for cleaning), much less on a given aircraft.For me, well, you do great work! You give great texture, and fantastic detail . . . and guess what? It's for friggin free! So, in my not so humble opinion . . . Carry on Sir! You just keep on building those fantastic aircraft, and I'll keep downloading them and enjoy this hobby to its fullest!Lastly, if you were charging for them . . .well, then perhaps, you would be a tad thin skinned . . .(I also am that way), but since you offer your fine work for free . . . when little worth a damn in this world is FREE, then you're allowed!Best to you and yours,Clayton T. DopkeMajor, USAF (retired)"Drac" .........Oh, and I love the 'two-seven'!

I'm behind you a thousand percent Mike: I couldn't agree more. The plane really does need balloon tires!:-)No, seriously. For me, its one of the most irritating or delightful thing about the popularity and size of the FS community: it attracts the worst and the best in the community. Constructive criticism is indeed extremely helpful - when it actually is constructive. For way too many in this community, the word "constructive" simply has no meaning while they are online. Maybe offline too (but far less I'm sure, once they return to the real world).Then again there are those who will bend over backwards to help you out and give you encouragement just when you need it. It can keep you spinning at times when the two meet in one place: such as these forums. Unlike the real world, a large community such as this seems to be just that much more polarized 'tween the two.Take care,http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/elrondlogo.gifhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/flyurl.gif

>community. Constructive criticism is indeed extremely >helpful - when it actually is constructive. For way too >many in this community, the word "constructive" simply has >no meaning while they are online.Unfortunately, I think a number of people may believe that "constructive criticism" means "that criticism which I'm offering you." Unwarranted or destructive criticism, in some cases, is "that criticism which has been directed toward me." Add to that the folks who hit the "Post Message" button and sending stuff up to the system rather than first hitting the "Preview" button (and thus sending stuff which I'm sure many would like to pull back once they've cooled down) and you've got the potential for some very lively content.Mike, I applaud you. You took a number of lumps for your previous post and you took them well. I also commend you for coming back and opening a new thread to try and deconfuse the matter some. It takes a big man to do that.Keep building your kick-butt aircraft. I'm a huge fan!Bill

Your sig just made me think that we need some Lord or the Rings aircraft liveries. :-yellow1 :-yellow1 :-yellow1Mike Stone

757????? No Mike....Goose V2 , Widgeon...THEN 757! ! ! LOL!!!! Well, I can ask, can't I?!! :) I saw and responded to the original author of the "Bear" ordeal. He has publically announced an apology and I respect him highly for that. That's 1 out of 1000 in forums anymore! Thanks for all you do Mike.Don

Mike, I'm sick to death of reading post's from people slagging off designers works, especially when searches in the file library reveal zilch against the name of the posters. I know how much slog goes into model making and what hard work it can be. You and Greg P have been as yet the most prolific designers in GMAX, a tool an awful lot of guys are having a hard time with. I can see a day as has happened with others, where the designers make models purely for their own enjoyment and perhaps a few trusted friends simply because a few uneducated morons jump on the soapbox. Sure, as you say if it's justified you'll fix it, thats enough surely ? Christ, it's not as if there's any money changing hands. If you want an experienced designer and beta tester to help out and be constructive, send me a mail. In the meanwhile whingers, sod off, design your own and have the balls to release it, I for one am waiting, though I'm not holding my breath.To finish, why do we not see commercial products slagged off ? Recent reviews I've read have ensured I wont be buying, yet do we see anything posted....no, is that because all some want is freeware or are perhaps shy to admit they've fallen for the hype and bought expensive junk ?Keep up the good work Mike, your stuff has enlightened mine and others sim and AI experiences.George