Sign in to follow this  

Stutter Problem, Any Ideas Or Help Appreciated

Greetings,I just started flying on line recently and have noticed some stuttering with the frame rates at times. I just bought a new PC and have plenty of processing power (2.4 GHZ, 768MB DDR SDRAM PC2700, 64MB ATI DDR Video Card). When in FS2002 off line, I enjoy consistent high frame rates with all the sliders maxed out. When I fly online, the frame rates drop occasionally to about 2-5 FPS for a couple of seconds and then return to normal. It will usually happen when text is scrolling along the top or when on the taxiway going into a turn.Is this caused by the server possibly refreshing information to the PC? I was hoping that changing to a high speed cable connection over my old dial up connection would improve the performance, but I noticed no difference whatsoever. I realize I'm limited by whatever the server is putting out. I also can't connect to a USA server at all, I live outside the LA area. I end up hooking up to one in Brazil or Europe.Is what I'm describing normal behavior for online performance or does it get any better? Thank you for any help you can provide.Sincerely,Hans Groenewold

Hans, My guess is that the momentary pausing could be caused by FS loading a plane into the multiplayer session. I would also guess that the green line is saying that someone has joined the session. Any pausing when nobody around might be caused by squawkbox trying to get data from the server and having trouble in doing so. As for the IP addresses to connect to, I would suggest downloading the ServInfo utility from http://www.avsim.com/hangar/utils/servinfo/ Inside ServInfo is an IP button. Just press this and save the file it creates to your squawkbox directory. That way you'll have the current IP addresses and not the outdated ones that come with SB.Brian - ZNY

Brian,Thanks for responding to my post. I found the IP button you mentioned and saved it to the SB directory. It does happen when someone joins the session as you mentioned. We'll see what happens. I guess there are just so many variables that this is bound to happen. I just didn't know if it was my PC or expected behavior. Thanks again.Sincerely,Hans

Hans For what it's worth. Check and if necessary uncheck :-) the Send/Recieve detailed aircraft data checkbox in the Multiplayer Settings. It might help you with your drop of FPS's when someone is joining!Life is simple: Eat, sleep, fly!Mats J /SAS526Scandinavian Virtual Airlines