Sign in to follow this  
Irishcurse

Squawk Box errors

I am trying to help a friend get started with online flying. I have helped a bunch of people recently and all are now flying online. My friend is another story. We got 2002 up and running for him. He did experience a problem with SB though. Everytime he turned his pc back on and tried to fly he would go through all the steps and before the splash screen for SB ( the click here to get into the action) it would say " SB has encountered an error and must shutdown" we found his Host SB dll was bad but he had to reinstall the Host SB dll everytime he started FS2002. So he wanted to use FS9. We successfully installed everything.but we get an error in the same place as 2002 and its the same error. We have uninstalled and reinstalled FS9, SB , SB hostdll FSUIPC. SB relay is working fine. Anyone run into this or have a solution suggestion? By the way we cant even get 2002 to connect anymore. Not even by replacing the SB host.dll.. I am stumped. I also had him update direct x thinking maybe that was the problem but no go. Your help is appreciated......... Richie

Richie Walsh

Guest BeachComer

Maybe it's just my orientation, since I have spent the last two weeks cleaning trojans off various customers' computers, some relatively benign, one worse than most worms -- but it sure seems like something is going on with that computer. So -- what's the virus definitions date on your friend's antivirus? If the answer is "I dunno", it might as well be "it's expired", in my experience. Go to http://www.norton.com/cgi-bin/securitycheck.cgi and follow the prompts to make sure his computer is cleaned off.Then go to http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php and download Spybot Search & Destroy. Run it, Search For Updates, check and Download Updates for all available, then click the Spybot button and then the Check For Problems button. You might have to run it several times to find everything, and you might have to let it run at system startup before anything else gets loaded to clean everything up. And, while it is the best freeware / donationware tool, it doesn't find everything. Also, some things extant right now are too new for an automated tool to find, for example the Look2Me trojan that took me over six hours to manually clean off a customer's computer.If you know for certain sure that his computer's squeaky clean, then I'd suggest write-protecting the DLL and see what happens then.But I'll bet $5 against a burnt match that his Windows installation is compromised. If he has XP, try to use System Restore to go back to a date before "all this" started, then try cleaning up as outlined above. You'll find something. If you can't get the System Restore to work, that'll be your smoking gun.

Hi!I have exactly the same problem! I always have the very latest virus definitions, and have reinstalled hostsb (not SB yet). No bugs shown up with either SS&D or Adaware. The problem has been around for ages, so I won't be doing a System Restore - too much stuff to lose :) Any help for either of us would be greatly appreciated. It drives me nuts. It seems to right itself after you restart the machine (works then. strange that it seems to be a problem with the first boot of the machine a day - dodgy and surely incorrect, but that's what it does).Thankyou,Geoffrey BaleanCanberra, AU (YSCB)http://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg http://www.vozvirtual.org/images/pmdgforumsignature.png"Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. All is well!"Pentium 4 2.4GHZ, P4G8X Deluxe with Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, 512MB RAM, LG Flatron L1710S 17" LCD, GeForce MX440 Millenium Silver, Creative Soundblaster Audigy, Logitech Speakers, CH Yoke & Rudder, Quantum Fireballp AS30.0 - Basically nothing crash hot :)MSFS 2004 acof, PMDG 737 6/7/8/900, Activesky 2004, Flight One Cessna 152, SquawkBox 2.3 w/ guage, ServInfo 2.2, FS AutoStart, FS Real Time, FSUIPC 3.212 (unreg.:()

Guest BeachComer

Hmmmm.........Well, I still don't know what version of Windows he's using, but if it is XP Home Edition, I recall seeing a thread here or on the newsgroup (news.simflight.com -- server; simflight.vatsim-usa -- group) about how HostSB.dll doesn't seem to be working for many people (if any) running XP Home. I notice you always say SB Host, but you also say "dll". Now, if it's a dll, it must be "hostsb.dll", the module that allows you to run SB's window within FS. But if it's "SB Host", it must be the exe file that runs a separate window, for which you must use Alt-Tab or other window switching means to leave FS in order to interact with SB.If he is having the problem while trying to use "the dll", then he should probably give it up and run it from SBHost.exe, the separate window. That's what I had to do. I run it as a 1" high strip at the bottom of my 19" CRT, with FS taking up the rest, overlapping the SBHost titlebar so that only the SB text line shows. This gives me a "good enough" window for flying. Be sure to delete the hostsb.dll from the modules folder before running FS. You won't be able to delete it with FS running, it will be "in use" and held by the system.Otherwise, if he's using the SBHost.exe and getting this problem, the only thing I can suggest is that he repair XP by booting with the XP install CD, selecting Setup XP, and selecting Repair This Installation from the subsequent menu. This will leave installed software intact and works similarly to an in-place upgrade, but better, because Windows won't be active during the file copy process. CAUTION: there are some steps he must take before starting the process to avoid losing program shortcuts and data. If he follows the steps he should be fine. See the MS KB article 312369, here:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;312369Please note that you will need to copy and paste the entire line above into your browser's Address or Location window (or forwarded email), as I can't seem to force the Avsim html system to ignore the semicolon between kb and EN, thus the link as a clickable entity is broken and will not take you to the desired article. Best Regards,--The BeachComer

Just for further details, I use Windows XP Professional. I think I will resort to repairing XP when all other options run out. I really don't think it is a problem with the OS, and yet, for (almost) everybody else it works fine.:(Geoffrey BaleanCanberra, AU (YSCB)http://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg http://www.vozvirtual.org/images/pmdgforumsignature.png"Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. All is well!"Pentium 4 2.4GHZ, P4G8X Deluxe with Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, 512MB RAM, LG Flatron L1710S 17" LCD, GeForce MX440 Millenium Silver, Creative Soundblaster Audigy, Logitech Speakers, CH Yoke & Rudder, Quantum Fireballp AS30.0 - Basically nothing crash hot :)MSFS 2004 acof, PMDG 737 6/7/8/900, Activesky 2004, Flight One Cessna 152, SquawkBox 2.3 w/ guage, ServInfo 2.2, FS AutoStart, FS Real Time, FSUIPC 3.212 (unreg.:()

Hi All!I have found the solution to the problem. After fiddling with various stuff in FS, I have discovered that the problem lies with FSUIPC. I haven't updated it yet (will check for latest in a minute), but the key for me was to go into the FSUIPC Module in FS, and push all those clear weather buttons, however I think the main one to push would be the 'Normal Weather Defaults' one - better to be safe than sorry by pushing all and ending on this one though ;)I am happy again :DGeoffrey BaleanCanberra, AU (YSCB)http://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg http://www.vozvirtual.org/images/pmdgforumsignature.png"Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. All is well!"Pentium 4 2.4GHZ, P4G8X Deluxe with Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, 512MB RAM, LG Flatron L1710S 17" LCD, GeForce MX440 Millenium Silver, Creative Soundblaster Audigy, Logitech Speakers, CH Yoke & Rudder, Quantum Fireballp AS30.0 - Basically nothing crash hot :)MSFS 2004 acof, PMDG 737 6/7/8/900, Activesky 2004, Flight One Cessna 152, SquawkBox 2.3 w/ guage, ServInfo 2.2, FS AutoStart, FS Real Time, FSUIPC 3.212 (unreg.:()

Guest Craigjre

Whilst the other solutions may work, I did have this problem and I solved it doing three things.1.Don't use SB with FS2002 AND FS9, remove anything to do with SB or VATSIM from one folder and just leave it with one version.2. Run SBhost outside flightsim - so delete Sbhost.dll3. The way in which you connect... What works for me is: SB Relay, FS9, SB Host and Squawkbox then get upto connection page of SB, go back into flightsim connect to multiplayer... go back out put the 127.0.0.1 in and connect... connect to vatsim and quickly go back into FS to stop it not restoring... hope this solves your problems.