Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wayne Smith

VFR Procedures on VATSIM

Guest Wayne Smith

Hi all!I am a new user of the VATSIM system. I mostly fly helicopters - VFR, or with a VFR flight plan, in the New York / Long Island area. I was wondering what the correct procedure is when there is only a Center controller online. Do I still need to check in with Center for communications that would normally be with other ATC stations, such as ground, tower, approach, etc.? For example, if I am planning to fly NYC/NJ helicopter routes. If I fly outside of Class B? If I want to transition Class B airspace, etc? I don't want to create extra workload for the Center controllers if they are busy watching over airline traffic. :-)Thanks!WayneN457WS

Guest Tim W

I would say that the answer to your question is yes. The fact that you are logged on to Vatsim and will appear on the controllers radar screen may elicit a private message from him asking you to contact him anyway even if you havent already done so.RegardsTim

If no TWR, GND or APP onlne, then the center controller will most likely cover these, but usually only for NYC/PHL metro area (in your case). It will be at the controllers discretion if he wants to cover towers out in the sticks. If in doubt, ask.Class B clearances should work just like the real world, though you'll find you aren't refused anywhere near as often as the real one .Helo charts have been available to the NY controllers for several months now and are on pilot section of the NY web site, tho I don't guarantee that they will remember where every route goes ;-)BrianZNY Chief

Guest Wayne Smith

Brian,Thanks for your reply! So, should I indicate planned NY/NJ helicopter routes on a filed VFR flight plan, or just verbally advise the controller of my intentions prior to departure?Wayne

Best to put it in your flight plan, that way other controllers, don't have to ask 60 questions and you don't have to answer them all the time. They can just look at your f/p.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

I filed a VFR flight plan once when only the Center was manned. I contacted him before departure and he told me basically to leave him alone as I did not need to contact him ;-))

Guest rcritz

Flight following for VFR aircraft in Class E aircraft is a "workload permitting" activity. If he's busy with other stuff, he's probably not going to handle you. I know I've refused flight following to VFR's in Class E before when I had my hands more than full with other duties.

Guest Tim W

I can understand that as most people flying VATSIm are flying IFR with pax jets/turboprops anyway. So a radar advisory service (flight following) is really not necessary in VATSIM as there will be little (if any) conflicting traffic at VFR altitude anyway.RegardsTim