Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wac

UNICOM

Guest Wac

Hi,Could anyone please tell me what happens when you tune to UNICOM.I know it's used if there is no ATC available, but I'm just curious what else happens on the freq. Does ATC contact you once you fly into a zone that's manned ... ?Regards,Wac :-wave

Guest ielchitz

Vulcan,Great point - however I have one comment.When you check in as a "pop up" (ie - not handed off from another radar facility) - try and give the controller distance from a NAVAID rather than a FIX. Also give the direction you are in relation to the FIX. If you check in 150nm from XXXXX then you could be a lot of different places .I am sure that you usually give a NAVAID yourself, I just wanted to mention this for the benefit of the gentleman who asked about UNICOM.When I have a sky full and someone checks in with:"Center SWA2156 checking in at FL330 62 miles West of XIGOG"I have absoutely no clue where he is.If he had called in and said:"Center SWA2156 checking in at FL330 30 miles NorthWest of Mendocino/ENI VOR" NOW I KNOW WHERE YOU ARE .Ian Elchitz CYWG