Sign in to follow this  
kiek

big negative TCAS numbers at EHAM

Hi,When parked at a gate at Amsterdam Schiphol airport (EHAM) I get very big negative numbers in my SquawkBox TCAS screen. Other aircraft, as well the ones on the ground, as the ones in the air, are all at relative heights like -140911000... As soon as I am in the air, the numbers go back to normal values. I have not experienced this at other airports. I guess it might be caused by the fact that Schiphol airport (EHAM) is below sea level? Is that true and is there a solution for this artefact?I am using the Lago EHAM2002 scenery. Another strange thing is that I see other planes but I am not visible myself. This problem also disappears at other airports. Any ideas?.Regards,KiekEHAMhttp://home.planet.nl/~nwkaan

Actually Schiphol is below sea level (-10ft) and SB (or VATSIM servers) cannot understand this. If someone reports that his altitude is negative from sea level, it shows up as positive number (if I remember right).If you were a programmer, you'd know what happens when you try to save signed value to the unsigned variable. For example, if the maximum value of unsigned integer is set to 127, it means that -1 will set the integer to 127 (-2 == 126).

Hi Kemppi,I certainly know the issues of signed and unsigned. Therefore, I would say this is a flaw in the design of the software. It's based on wrong assumptions, because in the real world there are places that are below sea level, about 9M people live below sea level here in Holland ;-) Regards,KiekEHAM

I know, I know. :-) But not my software, if it was, there wouldn't be this kind of problems.