Sign in to follow this  

Correct procedure and dialog to use on VATSIM voice

I am a new VATSIM user...Can someone explain some the correct procedures and dialog to use for voice communications.For example:-Step 1) Tune to ATIS for departure airport to determine runways in use.Step 2)Based on runway in use... make and file a flight plan Step 3)Request IFR clearance, eg"Sydney departure, Qantas 231 requesting IFR clearance as filed to Brisbane with ALPHA"Wait for clearance and read back responseStep 4) Turn to ground frequency and request taxi to active runway, eg"Sydney ground, Quantas 231 requests taxi to active runway"etc etcWhat would be good is a flowchart :-jumpy that shows the procedures and dialog for a complete IFR flight, including missed approach, declaring emergency etc.Does this exist? It certainly would be nice to have such a flowchart on the VATSIM website to help new users like myself get up to speed on the correct procedures and dialog for VATSIM.Matthew.

Matthew,The following links may be of help to you, I am sure there are others but these two are what I know.http://www.vatsim-uk.net/vatsim-uk2/pilots.../Voice/menu.asphttp://www.vatsim-uk.net/vatsim-uk2/pilots...chool/vfrrt.aspStep1) This information can often be found from ServerInfo.Step2) There is no real need to know rwy in use before filing a flight plan, you can start your flight plan with the last waypoint of the SID and end it with the first waypoint of the STAR. Another way to look at is the filed flight plan starts at the first en-route waypoint and ends with the last en-route waypoint.Step3) Wait until you are almost ready for push back before asking for clearance, at least prep the cockpit and the FMC as far as you can so there is little delay between getting your clearance and being ready to taxi out.Using your example the call should be"Sydney departure, Qantas 231 requesting IFR clearance to Brisbane with ALPHA". Note the omission of 'as filed'. ATC will advise 'as filed' or give you other routing instructions.Read back clearance and wait for confirmation 'read-back correct'.You may then get 'Call for push and start' or you may get 'Push and start approved, call ready for taxi'.Step4) Normal taxi call is 'Qantas231 ready for taxi' ATC will then give you taxi instructions.There are slight variations around the World and between controllers but you will soon pick up the slight differences.As a new pilot, a couple of things I would like to say.In the flight plan remarks box put something to indicate you are new to Vatsim flying. Something like, 'pilot under training', 'student pilot','newbie', some people don't like 'newbie', I don't know why because we all were at one time or another, including the controllers.With this comment a controller can see you are new and may need some extra help and be given allowances for mistakes.Do not attempt one of the major fly-ins for your first flights. These fly-ins can be very large with a lot of traffic at one airport. The controllers will have their hands full dealing with the traffic and will not have the time or temprament to deal with a complete novice ;) See if your local Vatsim area has a pilot training scheme and join that to build up your proficiency.HTHAnd good luck with the virtual flying.

Thats great info, thanks for you help.Matthew