Sign in to follow this  

Do real world controllers often say, "Squawk mode Charlie"? I only recall hearing "squawk altitude". By definition it is mode C, but I've only heard it referred to as such on VATSIM transmissions. The transponder I'm familiar with switches between: off, standby, on, and altitude.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

From Canada's A.I.P. RAC 1.9.5 :Phraseology"Squawk Altitude" - Activate Mode C with automatic altitude reporting."Stop Squawk Mode Charlie" - Turn off automatic altitude reporting function

I'm a contoller at the real Washington Center. Usually we say "Stop altitude squawk." Or "I'm not receiving your Mode C" We usually have to assign new codes on entering aircraft if we are busy, the code assignment in the USA is generally given to the centers. We 'HOST' the approach control facilities through our mainframes. Code assignment on proposed flights are assigned by the Center computers. This helps reduce code changes enroute. The problem we have is Boston and Jacksonville Centers use the same code set (the first 2 digits 16xx, 21xx) So, when our computer receives the flight plan from another en route facility, if the beacon code is already being used, it assigns a new code. I've actually seen us or NY run out of presets when there are huge delays. Chris