Sign in to follow this  
Guest Paul_W

Did someone notice- all the ratings have disappeared no

Guest gasebah

I guess there is something heavily wrong with the database. Hope it is fixable.Alex

Alex,Tom yanked them, due to the kids in the Screen Shot forum misusing the ratings system. The system was originally put in place to recognize those that contribute positively to the forums. The kiddies in the SS forum turned it into a type of "reward currency?" if you will. They also just began using it to flame each other :-lolThe only thing that needs fixing is the maturity level of some folks around here.Rogerhttp://rwlsportscards.com/images/sigs/avsig3.gif

We would need to 'fix' some of the users of AVSIM's forums, not the database ;-) :-outta Francois :-wave________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online!email: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Guest Muppet22

So are we not going to see it return? :-(

Not anytime soon I would think. It has been deteriorating quickly in the past few months and there is no way to control what people put in it. The AVSIM staff were getting more and more requests to 'change ratings' given by others that owners were not happy with (and rightly so in many cases). We just cannot do that.And we also do not want it to be a backdoor flaming service.The forums we can moderate, the ratings we can not. Now, if we could get enough 'social control' back in the forums and have readers educate each other as to create a more mature attitude towards communicating with their fellow users, then perhaps....... ;-) :-outta Francois :-wave________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online!email: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

>We would need to 'fix' some of the users of AVSIM's forums, >not the database ;-) >> :-outta Francois :-wave >________________________ >Francois A. "Navman" Dumas >Associate Editor & >Forums Administrator >AVSIM Online! >email: fdumas@avsim.com >________________________ Amen!!!While I empathize with Tom et al, I have just a small idea what happens behind the scenes for moderators.I

Guest Lizardo

I agree! True, I miss my little stars (will have to wear trousers now)...but. I'll live, and be here, and people will know me, and I will know them. I guess I'll just have to rely upon who I am?(egad! just like in the REAL world!) :-)Fix:[effects]/tee_hee_factor=fx Tee HeeWhine_scalar=0.000Maturity_scalar=4.000

Trouble is, there are just wauy too many of these incidents and we are only a few moderators, all with full time day (and sometimes night) jobs. Managing the forums is a pretty big task at times already.... and remember, we would like to be here to help people, not to police them. Then having to handle rating system abuses, email and chat abuses and forum abuse all on top of that is just too much too handle and not worth the additional effort.We are not taking the road of least resistance, but sometimes there is no other road. This is one of those instances. Sometimes closing down a whole thread is another.... :-outta Francois :-wave________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online!email: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Guest gasebah

I would sure know how to fix 'em users.First step: Instead of the rating stars give 'em a pig's face.Scnd step: Bann them.I want my stars back.Alex

Guest Joshieca

Personally I was a bit surprised how the ratting system worked on this site. On most forums you accumulate ratings or "stars" with the number of posts you make. The way this system is/was set up here seemed like a "Good-Ole-Boy-Club". Where a small group of people would rate users and most people would not. You could have hundreds of quality posts and have only one or two stars. While others may have only 100 posts have a full constellation.I think that if they bring it back it should be based on the number of posts you make. Leave the comment section in the profiles, but the stars should be based on # of posts not # of peers.[br][br][div align=center][br][link:members.cox.net/fstimes/wetimage.html]Click Here For Weather Image of the Day!

Guest Dominik Mann

Francois, I agree with you and understand your attitude fully. Sadly, those instances of childish bashing and bad-mouthing seems to be getting more common by the day...not just on this forum, and no amount of "disciplinary" means such as removing posts or locking threads seems to be able to stop them. Personally I'm convinced that this can be attributed only to the fact that people do not need to look their opposites in the eye when posting on forums...and sometimes they even do not need to register at all to be able to post. True, even the obligation to register with email address and user name cannot prevent bad behaviour in all cases, but if there are some data for the moderators to digest there is at least the chance for them to exclude known trouble-makers permanently. And this I support fully.Heck, this ain't the Jerry Springer show, no? :D

Then those kiddies should have had their accounts yanked! or the naughty flaming ratings should have been scrubbed.Anyway, it's OK, football is back!

Rating people by the number of posts they make means nothing. I can hit enter 10 times a minute and get many 1-word posts in.... that has nothing to do with quality.At least with the ratings (verbal) one could read what others had to say about a person. That, obviously, is not objective in any way either, and certainly not subject to any quality control ;-)The only way to 'know' whose post to read, and whose not, is to visit the forums a lot and 'know' the people by theur ID, know what is behind it.Just like in real life actually... ones clothes or a loud mouth don't mean nothing in terms of judging ones character and trustworthiness.Just my .02 eurocents :-outta Francois :-wave________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online!email: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Lieben Dank, DM ! :-)Yes, and that is what we do, but we are only able to do it to a certain extent and within certain limits. As I explained before, it's not our hobby nor our intent to be the cop on the block. we are here to enjoy our hobby too and where possible help others with it.I wish we had a 100 full time mature moderators some times... ;-) :-outta Francois :-wave________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online!email: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

>>have readers educate each other as to create a more mature attitude towards communicating with their fellow users<