Sign in to follow this  

6.4" COLOR VGA Monitor from PFC

Is it just me, or would you have to be absolutely nuts to spend $550 plus s/h for a 6.4" VGA monitor? Seems expensive to me.

Hi,That is still too expensive. I have stripped down a brand new 35 Euro 5 inch Black and White TV. Look at my website in the projects page.However, the advantage of the 6.4 inch TFT screen is it's VGA compatibility. You don't have all the trouble of TV OUT drivers and TV Tools not recognising your TV chip ... Regards,Kiekhttp://www.nicokaan.nl/

Guest gasebah

It is not only a question of TV drivers but mainlay a matter of quality. If you want to display e.g. a Garmin GPS with a composite signal with bleeding colours and at TV resolution with 60 Hz....I don't know. The small VGA displays are expensive because production quantities are low, and they are sold for professional stuff basically.Alex

eBay is hip-deep in any number of VGA laptop screens in pretty much any size from 5" to 14". You can get 12" laptop screens for as little as $30. If I could just find a reasonably priced way to connect such a screen to a VGA port they'd be absolutely perfect for cockpit construction !!Rick

Guest MikePowell

There are a number of small companies offering bits and pieces, but no one I know of offering an inexpensive turn key solution. For example take a look at MVS ( www.star.net/people/~mvs )They (he?)offer a VGA LCD interface for $27 in quantity. The price climbs to $95 when buying one. I suspect (but admit to having no hard facts to back this opinion up) that some of the high end micro controllers could drive a VGA panel and offer a moderate bandwidth interface to a PC. Maybe when I get the roof fixed, the book done, the bathroom remodeled and the kids through college, I'll look into it a bit further.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders.