Sign in to follow this  
Guest jackolantern

Does one need a Matrox Parhelia for multi monitor?

Guest jackolantern

I've done quite a bit of homework on this subject, but I cant quite get a conclusive idea of what I should pursue.I have a XP2800 processor, and 512MB DDR RAM. What I ideally want is 3 monitors -- one center, one center-left and one center-right. I'd also like to run a smaller monitor for main instruments. Isn't this possible with FS9's ability to simply undock a window and drag it to the appropriate monitor? I hear from some that usually this hits framerate too much.I also hear from some that have a Matrox Parhelia that this is quite possible. But I don't hear much from those who have tried it with non-Parhelia cards.Any opinions?Thanks!Jack

Guest ZKSHB

I tried the same as you with a Matrox G550. I found that although the framerate was OK in most flight modes but as soon as ATC or some command inputs were actioned everything got very surreal. This card was actually a bit of a downgrade compared to the card that came with the box, but I wanted to try the multi monitor thing. I am now using it to handle EICAS and FMC which works quite well at the moment.If you've got the computers I would recommend Wideview, as the results are much better, the only provisio being faster network adapters, as the 10 mps can get a little staggered at times depending on whats going on with FS.ZK-SHB

>I've done quite a bit of homework on this subject, but I cant>quite get a conclusive idea of what I should pursue.>>I have a XP2800 processor, and 512MB DDR RAM. What I ideally>want is 3 monitors -- one center, one center-left and one>center-right. I'd also like to run a smaller monitor for main>instruments. >>Isn't this possible with FS9's ability to simply undock a>window and drag it to the appropriate monitor? I hear from>some that usually this hits framerate too much.>>I also hear from some that have a Matrox Parhelia that this is>quite possible. But I don't hear much from those who have>tried it with non-Parhelia cards.>Generally with several "views" it is too much for any processor. People usually run WideView and use several networked PC's, one for each screen.As far as I understand Parhelia does it by stretching *one view* accross the monitors, so it is basically "one window". So there's just one geometry and scene to render, whereas with the different "views", FS needs to recreate the whole scene N times because you can zoom/pan/whatever each view independently.Someone might know better though, but this is my understanding of the matter.Tuomas

I have never used the Matrox Parhelia , myself. However, from what I have read it looks to be really good in FS9. (I hear that FS2002 is not set up to run with this card.) Value wise one $300 card would be better than buying three computers. You could use a PCI card for the instrument panel.I use an ATI 9000 running on a Maintech 2.4GHz P-4 MBO for FS2002. I run one monitor for the outside and one for the instruments. I have never seen any problems with the video. John

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Guest jpcxcf

I'm using a Parhelia and it works great.All sliders to the right.Best regards,PedroHere's my system:Duron 1GHz512MbParhelia AGP - Main viewG200MMS Quad (4 monitors) PCI - PanelsHere's what you get:Using only the Parhelia with one monitor (zoom 1.0)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/51736.jpg3 Monitors (zoom 1.0)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/51738.jpg3 Monitors (zoom .31)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/51739.jpg

Hi,Like Pedro i run the Parhelia,with instruments on a fourth monitor.I did try Wideview,they all have pros and cons.I liked the Parhelia because there was less fuss when one wanted to say take a quick flight.Also with wideview AI aircraft are not in sync yet.There is a debate as to wheather or not is is possible.I would nver go back to a single monitor.Thats my 2cents worth.Just remember that there are a lot of views on this subject.It pays to look at both camps,but it is fair to say that those that try to run multiviews via multiwindows off a single vid card agree that the frame rate suffers terribly. take alook at the Wideview site on www.Flightsim.no/cockpit/and read and ask,you will get plenty of advice.RgdsLes

Guest jackolantern

Les,Does your framerate suffer also, even though yo uuse the parhelia? What kind of framerate do you get and what are your system specs?Thanks>Hi,>Like Pedro i run the Parhelia,with instruments on a fourth>monitor.>I did try Wideview,they all have pros and cons.I liked the>Parhelia because there was less fuss when one wanted to say>take a quick flight.Also with wideview AI aircraft are not in>sync yet.There is a debate as to wheather or not is is>possible.I would nver go back to a single monitor.Thats my>2cents worth.Just remember that there are a lot of views on>this subject.It pays to look at both camps,but it is fair to>say that those that try to run multiviews via multiwindows >off a single vid card agree that the frame rate suffers>terribly. >take alook at the Wideview site on www.Flightsim.no/cockpit/>and read and ask,you will get plenty of advice.>>Rgds>Les

Hi,My specs are Athalon xp2400 512meg ram two 40 gig hardrives in Raid 0 Nvidia TNT2 model 64 Parhelia Bulk 128meg.When im flying 2000 feet over a city frame rates locked at 20.Comming into land at Tacoma Seattle 13-15 FPS.I tend to have high res but dont find to much noticeable if i drop res to 800x600.Slider settings pplay alarge part.Thats why it is very hard to gauge what its really like.Its not silky smooth when you come into land but i have no trouble with landings.I could if i wished turn down some settings,but i find the imperfections of no great concern.Even when i had wideview going i never had silky smooth ops.What the Parhelia offers for the price i am more than happy with.I to looked and listened before buying but ended up not really knowing.There are just to many variables and half of the time when you ask people you really dont get the full story.If you have concerns,write to Mike at Deltflight.com.He uses one with 3 27 inch tvs.His system is loaded with stuff.Hopes this helps.Les

Guest jackolantern

Thanks to all who have offered advice. I think I'm going with the Parhelia.