Sign in to follow this  
Guest steku

Did any of you ever used Alps rotaries?

Guest steku

Did any of you ever used Alps rotaries - you can find them at http://www.elfa.se/en/ (search for SRBM1L).They are similiar to Knitter switches - generating pulseson one pair of contacts when turning clockwise and on another pair when turning counterclockwise.Because these switches are obtainable in Poland I'd like to know if they are OK (I'm planing to use them with GammaRay 256 board from Leo Lacava - Beta Innovations). Because I don't have this board yet I'm going to do some experiments with LPT-switch ora hacked keyboard. These switches are to so cheap (5 USD/one switch) but the prices drops down when you buy more than 10. I'm little afraid of wasting 50 bucks so your opinion will be appreciated.

I have used one from mouser.com in the U.S. and I think it's the same one that you are talking about. It works, but I found it a little hard to turn and not very realistic. If you are trying to use a keyboard interface or anything that does not handle rotary encoding routines, you will not be able to turn it very fast, or else it will miss inputs. I.e. turning a heading knob too fast will result in no input. I have a setup using a keyboard interface and to spin the heading around takes 360 clicks at a somewhat slow rate. Not the best solution, but it works. Good luck.