Sign in to follow this  
Guest ielchitz

FSBUS Newbie Says Hello!

Guest ielchitz

Hi all,Just wanted to say "Hello World". I'm an electronics newbie from Calgary, Alberta. I've been following the forum here for a LONG time. About 6 months ago I decide I would attempt to jump in to the FSBUS world and see where it takes me.Well life has been busy since the initial reads on how to do this, that, and everything - but I finally have my first two PC Boards (COM and LED) designed, etched, and drilled.I've got the components for FSCOM (though I have to admit I had a lot of trouble translating some of the pieces from the amazing european resources out there) and am about to start soldering them onto the board.The creation of the PCB was an educational experience. Trying to save as much money as possible, I spent a lot of time looking into alternate methods for making a PC Board. Thanks to Mike Evans - I decided to try the Kodak Photo Paper in a laser printer method. First print out didn't come out so well, but my excitement caused a lack of patience and event when the transfer to the board came out only "so-so" I still went ahead with the etching. I felt like a little kid as I sat in my garage wearing old clothes, a mask, goggles, and wearing rubber gloves - as I played with the Ferric Chloride. I wasn't too happy with the end result - and after spending some time trying to determine where I went wrong - it was obvious that the horrible print job on the Kodak paper was to blame (crap in crap out).Not the type to be deterred by a setback, I picked up some more copper board and tried again. This time I spent considerable time cleaning the board before attempting to transfer the design. Probably a smart move. Even smarter was my ability to "pull the plug" before I got to the etching stage. After the transfer was complete it looked horrible - I consulted my recently purchased "Making Printed Circuit Boards" by Jan Axelson (ISBN 0-8306-3951-9) and discovered I had used too much heat.I cleaned the resist of the board and tried again the next day. This time the transfer worked great. I didn't even have to touch anything up with a sharpie marker. The etching took a little longer than expected (probably due to the cold temps that evening) but the end result was perfect!!After cleaning the rest of the resist off the board, I spent some time in the basement on the drill press making sure those tiny holes were perfect. Now all I need to do is find some time to get all of my parts soldered on. I'm looking forward to sharing my experience with everyone. I figure that if a person like me can figure this stuff out - then anyone with some determination can do it.I hope this is the right place to ask questions - as I know that i will have many coming soon.Thanks for listening to my boring story - speak to you again soon.

Interesting, not boring!One of the best side benefits to building a flight sim is the stuff you learn to do one the way. Not only do you get a sim, you get an education and a few useful skills along the way.Welcome to the group. As a mechanical type, I need you electron movers to help me with the electronics.John

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Guest MikePowell

Welcome to the group, Ian. The topic of PC boards comes up frequently. It's good to have people who can relay first hand experiences.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com