Sign in to follow this  
Guest Binkles

Damn Rotaries!

Guest Binkles

Yup - I'm not happy - I've been slicing, and dicing my fingers trying to pull apart these silly rotary decoders - the ones with the four clasps. I'm sure there must be an easier way than trying to force screwdrivers underneath them.Any ideas?

Guest mondo

Why are you trying to open the rotaries? To make dual rotaries? I have made my duals using ALPS rotaries that have hollow plastic shafts. If I knew how to do the picture thing on this site, I would send some pictures of them. Really easy. Milt

Guest Erups

When you are in "posting" mode, underneath the window in which you enter text, there is another one labeled "insert your attachments here", if you click on the label, you'll be presented with a window that will let you upload and insert images in your post.

Guest bowingic

HiI know what you mean...just been there done that!...I found I could pull one clasp back and insert a pin to stop it closing. Then go to the adjacent clasp and pull it back with your finger nail or whatever and lift the white part up on that side...slide a small scewdriver between the white and black parts on the side you have lifted and repeat for the other side making sure you enclose the whole thing with your hand or hankerchief so the spring and two ball bearings don't get away. I found after the first one I could get one apart , remove the stop with a sharp modelling knife and reassemble in about 2 minutes.

Hi,That's a rotary switch, not a rotary encoder ...For that price, I'd rather buy real (grey type) rotary encoders from Peter Cos in Canada. They cost USD 4.50 each; so slightly more then the one you showed, but you don't need to do surgery ;-)Nicowww.nicokaan.nlfc.php?vatsim=814584&indicator=OD1&a=pic767.jpg

Guest Binkles

Sorry that I got the wrong name.FSbus if I remember correctly doesn't like encoders - or you need an additional board.So that would would out at about $8nz +postage as well as another board.They work fine once you get them open.

Guest mondo

I am using ALPS rotary encoders with no problem operating under FSBUS. One only has to designate them as Knitter types in the dropdown menu. I paid $1.47 for the cheapest ones. The only problem is; they are pcb mounts so one has to build a mount for them or simply hot melt them to the back panel. Milt