Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

FS2002 - hanging up / rebooting

I'm having trouble with FS2002 Pro hanging up / rebooting etc. Sometimes I can fly for 1 to 2 hours ok, other times its only 5 mins. Sometimes it when I go to a new location. I can not seem to get a common action that causes the hang up.My new system is Win XP HomeAMD 2000XP1gb RAMSOYO SY-K7V Dragon PlusCPU @47 deg. COn board sound Leadtek GeForce Ti4200 64 MbNo additional scenery / aircraftErrors I get from the Windows 'report' include terrain.dll,g3d.dll,g2d.dll,atc.dll application failures.I have downloaded latest drivers for video card.Looking in the Device Manager I notice that the video card and audio device both have IRQ 11 but the change setting is greyed out. I'm sure they both shouldn't be the same.Any help most appreciated - I want to get back flying!

Guest gasebah

Hi,the first problem I see in your rig is that you have a lot of RAM. Yes, I consider that a problem from my own experience. If you are use 4-way overleave the Ram is accessed so many times that it gets awefully hot. You might not see any instability in other applications, even not in the Sandra benchmark, but FS2002 makes extreme use of that ram. Make sure you set it to SPD if you have it at CL2 try CL2.5. And go slow on the wait stages and especially on things like 1T command.WinXP is an ACPI system by default. If you had ACPI enabled during the installation it will assign the IRQs as it pleases and you can do nothing about it. That is supposed to be no problem according to MS but it is a problem. If you want to change this you have to change from ACPI to standard computer. In the device manager rightclick on ACPI computer. Choose update driver. Select driver from a list. Select standard computer. Disable ACPI in the BIOS if when you restart. Afterwards you should be able to assign IRQs in Windows and by changing PCI slots. But beware you will also loose some functionality, like some standby functions, autoshutdown etc..Having said all this the problems that you describe do not make me think that any of this will solve your problem. I would go for a clean reinstall of FS2002 before trying any of the above.Alex

First of all always check your eventlog files the first place to look before doing anything... Sharing a interrupt with more devices isn't today a problem anymore :-)If you are confused with ACPI > "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) is an open industry specification that defines a flexible and extensible hardware interface for the system board. Software designers use this specification to integrate power management features throughout a computer system, including hardware, the operating system and application software. This integration enables Windows 2000/XP to determine which applications are active and handle all of the power management resources for computer subsystems and peripherals""ACPI design is essential to take full advantage of power management and Plug and Play in Windows 2000/XP. If you are not sure if your computer is ACPI-compliant, check your manufacturer's documentation. To change power settings that take advantage of ACPI, use Power Options in Control Panel"So for further trouble shooting give the information from the eventlogapplication and system security isn't necessary...awfEHAM

André

Guest gasebah

>>>Sharing a interrupt with more devices isn't today a problem anymoreI absolutely doubt that from my own experience. The question is how you define problem. A USB host shared an IRQ with my graphics adaptor and led to very annoying stutter in FS2002. I finally disabled the USB Host - no stutter. Apart from that I can remember more than one post where someone in this forum experienced serious stutter produced by shared Interrupts.Having said this I also believe that cannot be the reason for the crashes, as said above.alex

Alex I'v got a large experience in this field (large network enviroments servers and clients dos/win3.1/3.11/win95/98/ME/XP/2000)There can always be a conflict with the many different configurationsin hardware and software a lot of variables today, however this event occurs a lot less as in the past with a correct installed PC.My point is for trouble shooting look always first in the eventlog before changing a ACPI client to standard (one way no reverse) (hence as MCSE thats the first thing you learn... :-) and believe me it's very usefull)awfEHAM

André

I have two Soyo Dragon+ MOBOs. One was unstable but usuable with 768MB (3x256) of DDR2100 memory. The second was completely unusable with three sticks of memory. I was pulling out my hair trying to figure out the problem. It seems the soyo forum is rift with complaints about this problem on this MOBO. I removed one stick of memory from the socket closest to the CPU. Both MOBOs are solid as rocks with only two sticks. I recommend you try removing one stick, you probably have two 512MB sticks and see if you computer becomes stable. Some people have had success by buying DDR2700 and higher memory for faster throughput rates.The system seems to handle the IRQ 11 sharing quite nicely and yes there is not an easy way to change it unless you reinstall WinXP Home without ACPI.