Sign in to follow this  
Guest -Jon-

Mjoy16

Guest -Jon-

Has anyone built an MJoy16 as described on http://www.mindaugas.com/ ?I have just completed construction of the board and plugged it into the US port and Printer port. I managed to flash the mega16 chip with the hex file provided and verified it to be OK, but when I re-plug the unit into USB, Windows gives me an error message - "USB Device not recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it..................."Hoping that someone else has made this unit (or Meandog is around)and can assist me.Jon

Guest fishx

After building Mjoy, I just finished Mjoy16. I tested it once, it gave the same error message. I have not yet connected a potmeter, perhaps this would make a difference? I am very happy with the original Mjoy, I would recomend it to all cockpit builders!!Lolke

Guest -Jon-

It doesnt seem to make a difference if the potentiometers are connected. I have left them off and also put the inputs to ground (as stated in the manual about not having them) but it makes no difference.In the zip file that contains the files for flashing the mega16, there are 2 files - a .hex and a .eep Any ideas what the .eep is for? The notes only mention flashing with the .hex file and nothing regarding the .eep file. I cant understand why it would be included if not required. Mindaugas has done a great job with the documentation, but I am just a bit confused about this section.

Guest System

Hello!Which OS do you use?I have same problems with old MJOY (Atmega8) at Windows XP... but it works fine at windows 2000 pro.:)Regards, Alexander.

Guest -Jon-

Alexander, Thanks for the reply. I use XP pro on this machine, and tried it on Win98SE as well with same results. The only thing I havent done is tried to flash it on the 98 machine, only from the XP box. I dont think this will make difference but will give it a try anyway.Jon

Guest -Jon-

Lolke,Did you get the Mjoy16 to work?Jon

Guest fishx

Hello JonI disconnected all usb devices from my computer and plugged the mjoy-16 to a *motherboard* usb-port (I think I used an addon card usb port previously). It seems to work now, no error message and Mjoy-16 is listed in the windows gamecontroller aplet.Need to test it further.Lolke

Guest -Jon-

Thanks for the reply Lolke. I tried this too, but it still seems to not want to work. I will take it to work with me tomorrow and try it on a Windows 2000 machine and see what happens.Can I ask what method you used to program the Mega16? That is, did you flash it with the .hex file , the .eep file, both (which first) etc. Do you know what the .eep file is for? I dont believe it is used, but then cant understand why it is included.I will get someone else to check my board too, but the circuit is so simple, its pretty hard to fudge!I have a panel sitting here I desperately want to use, but am stuck and cant work out whats wrong.Thanks again in advance,Jon

Guest fishx

JonI think the .hex file is for programming the chip, tell it what it needs to do when a button is pressed. The .eep file is, what I understand, for the eeprom, for storing potdetails-max values and so on-. I think the hex file is essential, the eep not.I think the voltage is important when flashing the chip, perhaps that is the reason the flashing is ok when I use a specific usb-port with no other devices connected.I am just a amateur, perhaps others have more information?Perhaps there could be a dedicated forum to this sort of things?Lolke

Guest rvdijk

Hoi Mjoy users ...I build a few cards and dad the same experience:Started in November 2004 with the Atmega8 and that card worked fine on all computers ...The first Atmega16 worked fine on my laptop and desktop computer and home FS pc ... but not on 2 new builded pc's: the cards were not recognised and I got also the faulty messages ...My laptop is a Dell with a 450 Mhz processor ...My desktop is a AMD 1800 with XP, SP1 and SP2 ...My home FS PC is an P4 2,5 Mhz with XP, SP1 and SP2 ...My new computers are an AMD 2000 and I checked there the system with XP ..... with SP1 and later with SP2 ... direct USB port and with a hub, with and without an extra powersupply .... but after all:no results ... the Mjoy 16 is not recognised!I wanted to use the system for my project on the University in a Fokker F28 simulator (www.rvijk.nl) but I am a little bit disappointed. I checked and reinstalled Windows XP a few times but no positiv result!Send a mail to Mindaugas but up to now no reply ... Ho can help?Rob

Guest -Jon-

Well, I finally got mine working and I am really happy with it. I might add here that I recieved many replys for my requests for help from Mindaugus, and they were most helpful.I am not sure exactly what my problem was, but it was definitely in the wiring on my board. I originally was using a piece of veriboard (you know the one that has parallel copper tracks which are cut to break connection), but as I was unable to find a fault, decided to etch a board from the plans supplied. It took about 3 and a half hours to build from the time I exposed the blank PCB, to plugging it into USB on my PC, and I must say I was overjoyed when it came up as recognised (was even pre flashed from earlier attempts).Some of the things Mindaugus suggested to check were ;1. Check wiring on USB. Make sure D- and D+ are connected right.2. Are you using ATMega16-16 chip? The second number is important as it tells that this chip can handle up to 16MHz.3. Even without ATMega chip Windows should tell that they've "found unrecognized device". If it tells that it "failed" then might be a problem with zeners as they might clamp down the D wire to low voltage. Check if you connected to 2.2k and 4.7k resistors to the right D wire and pin on ATmega16 chip.4. Try to replace quartz capacitors. Try 2x10pF, 2x15pF or 2x22pF.5. Again, check wiring.6. Check quartz resonator as it might be quite fragile if mishandled.7. Check the polarity of zener diodes.Rob, I like the board that you show in your picture. I toyed with the idea of making one that had the 2 boards combined, and might even attempt one at a later date. Did you design that board? Is is single or double sided? Is the artwork available?Good Luck, Jon

Guest rvdijk

Thanks Jon,I will check all those components the coming days .... The board I designed myself and is of course available ... it's a doubleside and designed with Sprint Layout.Send me your addres .... and comes to you ...regards,Rob

Guest rvdijk

Bingo Jon,found the mistake .... replaced the 22K and 47K for the 2.2K and 4.7K and it's OK ...Thanks very much for your help ...Will place my PCB dowloadable on my site: www.rvdijk.nlregardsRob

Guest wriley

>Has anyone built an MJoy16 as described on>http://www.mindaugas.com/ ?>>I have just completed construction of the board and plugged it>into the US port and Printer port. I managed to flash the>mega16 chip with the hex file provided and verified it to be>OK, but when I re-plug the unit into USB, Windows gives me an>error message - "USB Device not recognized. One of the USB>devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and>Windows does not recognize it..................."I built an MJoy16 on a generic PCB and had this exact same symptom. My issue was that I had forgotten to connect one of the pins (#16, PD2, INT0). Your problem might be completely different but it's worth checking all connections.Regards

Guest -Jon-

That board has long since gone, so I have no way of checking if that was the problem or not. My current board has been working without missing a beat and I cant fly without it. In fact, the other night, just after departure, my mouse died. I completed the VFR flight - hour and a half around Brisbane - with full ATC (VATSIM), and the only thing I could not do was squawk standby on arrival.My latst project (just completed except for a nice case) is a digital display for the radio stack.The only problem I have is with the MJoy mapper software. For some reason, when I use an extended keypress e.g. " Q" I have to have the FS window active. If I use just "Q" it works fine i.e. the MJoyMapper sends the key to FS, regardless which window has focus.Pity I cant get hold of Mindaugas anymore, as I am sure he could help.Jon