Sign in to follow this  
Guest sandro becker

rotary x key comands

Guest sandro becker

is there a way to imput key comands via rotary switches to comand hdg or course?

Guest theporcupine

IOCards from Open Cockpits can do this easily, www.opencockpits.comYou can either use the card configuration software to set this up, or their own programming language called SIOC This is very powerful and surprisingly easy to use. All you would need is the Master Card and some rotary switches, many tutorials on their site. To make things easier though I would recommend getting the USB expansion card as well. I am most impressed with SIOC and have implimented several things that are not included in default FS itself. Bank angle limiter, GPWS, altitude approach/deveation alert and am working on flight level change function.Although it may sound like it, I promise I am nothing to do with these people. They just deserve great praise for making these things available to everyone, apart from the boards which are very cheap, everything else is free!RegardsSimonaka Porcupinewww.desktopflying.co.uk <>Very slowely putting together a generic(ish) twin desktop unit.

Guest sandro becker

Thanks people. I have fsbus with kniter rotaries. i dont know how edit to increase and decrease with two diferents key imputs

SandroNow you are talking about rotary encoders, not rotary switches as you did in the initial message of this thread.Encoders can also be connected to FSBUS. But it depends on the output signal they produce whether they can be connected direct to fsbus or need the REDEC between the output of the rotary encoder and the fsbus system.In the docs of fsbus is explained how you connect rotary switches (12 position switch) and how you do this with encoders (give a signal when turned cc and another one when turned ccw).I have found rotary encoders that can be connected to FSBUS without the extra REDEC pcb.This item is discussed many times the last few years. So do a search about this item on knitter or rotary encoder or redec.regardsNorberthttp://home.wanadoo.nl/norbert.bosch

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

I think he means to direct the output of the encoders or whatever to keystrokes, i.e. Ctrl-1 when turning the rotary to the left, Ctrl-2 when turning the rotary to the right.But I think this is not supported by the current version of FSBus router. You can only define an ON and/or OFF key sequence, not Up or Down sequences.George DorkofikisAthens, Hellashttp://online.vatsimindicators.net/811520/1704.png

Guest sandro becker

>I think he means to direct the output of the encoders or>whatever to keystrokes, i.e. Ctrl-1 when turning the rotary to>the left, Ctrl-2 when turning the rotary to the right.>But I think this is not supported by the current version of>FSBus router. You can only define an ON and/or OFF key>sequence, not Up or Down sequences.>>George Dorkofikis>Athens, Hellas>http://online.vatsimindicators.net/811520/1704.pngthats it. so we have to wait.thanks all of u.

Guest yoss

Hi SandroAgree with GeorgePossible work arround is to use SRBM1L or 35-884-64 http://www.elfa.se/en/This device is pulse switcher --opens and closes two pairs of contacts, depending by rotation direction and each pair can be assighnet to key strokes in fsbusRegards

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

Yes, for ADDONS that RESPECT themselves and home cockpit builders (Like the LEADER(!) LevelD767), that's true. You don't need such an approach.But for ALL the rest, that only give you the option to use the old, clumsy, slow, ugly, horrible, totally useless (Well, ok not totally), shortcut keys to control major things like heading and altitude, this is the only way it can be done.George DorkofikisAthens, Hellashttp://online.vatsimindicators.net/811520/1704.png

>But for ALL the rest, that only give you the option to use the>old, clumsy, slow, ugly, horrible, totally useless (Well, ok>not totally), shortcut keys Yes, and don't forget: key generation will not work if your panel is not the active panel. In those situations you may even get nasty side effects, because the active window will interpret your key-strokes...I agree completely with George, this is not the way to interface. Sim builders should take a look at the Level-D with its digital interface offered by its SDK. That's the way forward guys!!!, key-strokes is 'Middle Ages Technology' ;-)Nicowww.nicokaan.nl1704.png

Hi Porcupine,I agree with you, Opencockpits is a very good alternative for FSBUS. (I don't dare to say far Superior, but if you would ask me in private ... ;-) ;-) ) I'm still surprised how loyal builders are to FSBUS and how reluctantly they approach Opencockpits, as if that's something from another planet (not invented here) ... Spain is a full member of the EU too, and a highly developed country form a technological point of view. Yes they speak Spanish, but the documentation is also in English and in French.I'm also not a shareholder of Opencockpits, just a very satisfied customer. I'm a user the very reliable and cheap IOcards hardware (shipped to me within 5 days from order), their robust and powerful free SIOC software and not to forget their support in their own Forum (also in English).My advice.Nicowww.nicokaan.nl1704.png

>I'm still surprised how loyal builders are to FSBUS and how>reluctantly they approach Opencockpits, as if that's something>from another planet (not invented here) ... Spain is a full>member of the EU too, and a highly developed country form a>technological point of view. Yes they speak Spanish, but the>documentation is also in English and in French.Well, I dont think it is "reluctancy towards iocards" - more like that people already have FSBUS systems that work okay and they spent some effort to build them, and rather not want to switch since the setup does work for them.I use both. Our club 172 sim runs on fsbus happily, the logbook has now 800 hours of logged sim flights.. a lot of them in Vatsim as "OH-SIM" btw - if you see such a plane on your airspace, you know it's one of us from our club :)http://tigert.com/aviation/vatsim/cockpit-stuff/miksimu.jpgFSBUS drives the radios, marker leds, 7-segments and all switches and some potentiometers (I think rudder and throttle levers) via the AD-module. Simkits CCU board runs the gauges and the main "warning lights panel". Then we have one Plasma MiniME (equivalent to USBAxis or whatever-the-flavor-of-usb-joystick-card is today :))Then again, I also have IOCards, and I am happy with it too. I know the people are very enthusiastic, there are more people working on it and they are trying very hard to make this stuff easier for non-spanish speaking people as well. This is done with iocards and the sioc key stroke system:http://tigert.com/aviation/vatsim/cockpit-stuff/gns2.jpg(it's the reality-xp.com gns)IOCards was harder to learn though, but once I did, I am liking SIOC quite much. Although I dont understand why the numbering of variables cannot be done at compile time, thus I wrote a script for myself that does the numbering.. the numbers really do not represent anything useful to the cockpit builder, one really wants to use the named variables.. :)But I still think both fsbus and iocards work okay.//Tuomas

Hi Tuomas,Nice Setup!,>But I still think both fsbus and iocards work okay.I agree, I did not want to argue that. I only notice very little enthousiasm or interest for Opencockpits, which is a pity. It deserves more.That was what I wanted to say.Ofcourse if you already have FSBUS and are happpy, stay with it.As you say, FSBUS and Opencockpits can both be used at the same time. If you need some new extensions you could also choose Opencockpits. For Level-D a good example would be the CDU/FMC that will be supported (69 keys and 2 outputs for leds) with just one Opencockpits Mastercard (just one piece of hardware).Nicowww.nicokaan.nl1704.png

Hi,>or their own programming language called SIOC This is very>powerful and surprisingly easy to use. I have add a section on SIOC to my website, page IOCards.It shows you the basics of SIOC with an example source.Hope this will help people to understand what SIOC is all about and to show you it is not difficult at all.'One only need the config_sioc compiler, a text editor and a Beer ...' ;-)Regards,Nicowww.nicokaan.nl1704.png