Sign in to follow this  
Guest dash

triplehead2go

Guest dash

Histill gathering info about the best visual (outside view ) set-up. A lot of simmers seem enthusiastic about the triplehead2go (matrox). I'm using a ati X800XL 256MB graphics card, it seems that the ATI cards are not good company for the triplehead2go (only low resolution supported). So, what is a good graphics card for the triplehead2go?. My system runs on a AMD Athlon 4000+.I want to use 3 x 19"TFT (3 x 1280x1024) screens for the outside view, any advise on the TFT's (response time, contrast etc.)?Is the view with the triplehead2go enough 'surround' to fly VFR?ThanksDashwww.baron58.com

Uh, hi! :)Nice setup you have btw, it has provided me lots of inspiration.But please see the other threads about this in the forum, one is like five lines down :)//Tuomas

Guest dash

HiThanks for the info.I should have been more specific in my questions:- Is it better to have a high memory graphics card (e.g. 512MB) because of the high resolution (3840 x 1024 (triple 1280))?- Is there any graphics cards that best 'fit' the triplehead2go?- Regarding the TFT's, how important is the refresh rate, should it be < 16ms (BTW is refresh rate important for FS as it is for other games);- what is the view angle (without any special lenses)? does it cover left forward, forward and right forward? Thanks Dash

>- Is it better to have a high memory graphics card (e.g.>512MB) because of the high resolution (3840 x 1024 (triple>1280))?I would guess yeah. I don't remember how much RAM we have on ours, but yeah, the only difference to a normal setup is the big amount of pixels that also is super-wide.>- Is there any graphics cards that best 'fit' the>triplehead2go?The reviews said NVidia's cards were better. ATI cards had limitations on resolution due to the fact that ATI did not release specs and Matrox couldnt make it work so well in their cards. OR something, I am not sure, could be they managed to resolve the issue? We have a NVidia GeForce.>- Regarding the TFT's, how important is the refresh rate,>should it be < 16ms (BTW is refresh rate important for FS as>it is for other games);I am not sure - also depends on your flying style of course. Unless you do aerobatics, I don't think stuff moves around that fast :)16ms was "fast" a while ago anyway, now all displays seem to be like that..>- what is the view angle (without any special lenses)? does it>cover left forward, forward and right forward? It is a stretched forward view. You can simulate the same by putting the sim to windowed mode and resizing the outside view window to full screen width, but 1/3th of the height. Then zoom all the way out. That's what we do.It does distort a bit on the sides, but in practice it works just great. An awesome way to avoid running 3+ machines, and the sync issues related to WideView.//Tuomas

Tuomas,I'm also considering this nice device in stead of the WideView setup now (with 3 monitors), but am a little bit concerned about the relativily *thick* edges (bezels) of my 3 CRT monitors.In WideView I can zoom all the views, which gives the effect that the "world continuous behind the monitor bezels", but as far as I kniow this is not possible with the TripleHead2Go.I have the impression in the pictures on the net that you can see that the runway piano keys, runway lining etc. is not complete straight but that there is a little distortion caused by the monitor bezels. The problem is of course less prominent with the small bezels of a LCD monitor.# Is that true ? Is there a solution ?Now I'm looking to -35, 0 and + 35 degrees.# Is the view in the TH2G the same or is is for some reason (fisheye ?) different from the WideView setup ?Hessel

>Hi>>Thanks for the info.>>I should have been more specific in my questions:>>- Is it better to have a high memory graphics card (e.g.>512MB) because of the high resolution (3840 x 1024 (triple>1280))?>>......>Thanks >>Dash>I have done a lot of reading on the TH2Go and graphics cards. Most experts say that graphics card memory is not nearly as import as people believe. A fast card with the ability to draw a lot of pixels quickly will beat a slower card with more memory.Memory come in where you have a lot of information that needs to be stored. For instance, a game that wants to load the entire level in memory. More memory will allow more of the level to be uploaded for quicker response. An analogy would be watering a garden. You can use a big bucket that you refill or, a small hose with water pressure from that big tank in the sky.Matrox has a forum site on the TH2Go. Looking at the system specs. Of people running the device, very few had 512mb of graphics ram. I bought a eNivida 7900GT for $270. It came with a $30 rebate. Everyone is telling me that it will handle the TH2Go and MSFS. We shall see. :-)John

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

>Tuomas,>>I'm also considering this nice device in stead of the WideView>setup now (with 3 monitors), but am a little bit concerned>about the relativily *thick* edges (bezels) of my 3 CRT>monitors.>>In WideView I can zoom all the views, which gives the effect>that the "world continuous behind the monitor bezels", but as>far as I kniow this is not possible with the TripleHead2Go.Yeah. The triplehead2go is like the original Parhelia: it has a stretched view. Of course you CAN have 3 outside view windows in FS for this, but it will slow things down just as much as putting them all on one screen would.It's one wide view, and thus the monitor borders will effect the continuity. How much, depends on you. Our brains do compensate a lot, and I think it will work pretty fine if you decide it won't be a matter of life and death whether the taxiway line will be continuous or not. Also, I think you can adjust the CRT's picture to be a bit wider than the screen borders, that should help?//t