Sign in to follow this  
Bob Church

VIRUS ALERT

i got this email today from someone i didnt know so i scanned it. its got a worm.subject is "Super tuned flight dynamics"the sender is Tracy Morgan" main.ismi.net@myvine.combe on the look out for this email.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

This is a very common virus that spreads via e-mail attachments. When it infects a PC it sends a copy of itself to everyone in that PC's address book, which is how you got it. The fact that you got it from Tracy Morgan is meaningless other than the fact that his/her PC is infected. It is very unlikely that this was a personal attack on your PC by this person. It could come from anyone that has your e-mail address in their address book. I get several of these a day, sometimes dozens. Use a virus scanner (I use AVG) that scans e-mails automatically and this type of virus won't be a problem. Mike Stone

You forgot to add Mike that this guy also probably didn't send him anything... the virus will auto open the mail server and send things out as long as you're online...

If it was the Klez worm (that's the one I see the most often, well over 100 times so far), it probably didn't even come from the person in the "From" field. If you can get a look at the actual message header, the "Return Path" field will tell you where it really came from, but the visible "From" address is faked. The email subject will change each time, too. I think it picks it up from some file or other that happens to be on the drive. I usually get them in bursts, several from the same "Return Path" but with different "From" and "Subject" fields. The attachment always runs 85K to 90K and there's usually little or no text at all in the message. I just send a polite email to the "Return Path", explain what's going on, and suggest that they might want check their system. The person that it's actually coming from is probably someone you know well enough that they have you in their address books and probably has no idea at all that it's happening.- BobThe StickWorkshttp://www.stickworks.com