Sign in to follow this  
ejoiner

XPSP1 and AMD Processors

Just a quick check...anybody here who has had problems with SP1, can you advise if you use AMD or intel processors? Just trying to see if this issue is a problem with more than just a video driver.I myself had to back out SP1 because of FS2002 issues with artifacts on text and stuttering flight. I use an AMD Thunderbird 1.2 ghzprocessor besides my Xtasy GeForce3 Ti200 video card. Could be thevid card or Nvidia drivers, but wondering about that AMD.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Hi Eric,I've put this down in a few places, so you've probably read it already, but for the purposes of this thread, here it is again:I had major pauses (switching views) in FS after I installed SP1, along with the distorted text. I have since uninstalled it, and everything is back to normal.I have a GF4-Ti4200 and an Athlon XP processor. I disabled AGP texturing in DXDiag and my AGP aperture in the BIOS is 16 (I think). I run FS2002 in full screen mode at 1024x768x32 with most of the sliders at or near the max. All the display things (like MIP mapping and T&L are enabled. I think RivaTuner sets the antialiasing to Quincux or whatever it's called.Don't know what else might be relevant...Greghttp://www3.sympatico.ca/gregory.moffatt/ERJ.jpg

Guest WorkingStiff

I too am running a AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz processor. I installed SP1 about 10 days ago and I have had no problems with it.My video card is a basic GeForce 3 with the nVidia 29.42 drivers. I honestly think that there's a point of diminishing returns when using the newer drivers with older video cards. I think that any optimization in the newer drivers is aimed at the new cards not the older ones.But I run FSMeteo, FlightDeck Companion, Squawkbox, Roger Wilco, and FS2002 (maxed out) simultaneously with absolutely no problems.

Guest pumrigar

Hi Eric,Athlon XP 1900+, Leadtek GF4 4400 and 30.82 drivers, no tweaks.Problems: Distorted text, no menubar in full screen and major pauses every 30 seconds or so. I am planning to try again this weekend using some of the fixes suggested on this forum.Pesi

Guest gasebah

AMD XP2100+GF4Ti4600 on 40.41sInstalled SP1. No probs at all.I have a suspect that the probs are related to messed up drivers, revealed by the service pack. But the service pack is not the reason.Not sure if this helps or confuses but here's what I have done with 100% success.I unzip the drivers to a known folder that I create.I then simply go to C:Windowsinf. In that folder I locate the nv3.inf and the nv4.inf and rename them nv3.i_f and nv4.i_f. I then go to Add/Remmove programs and uninstall the XP Nvidia drivers including the remove registry entries when asked.I reboot, letting XP discover new hardware. When the wizard comes up, I lead it to the new drivers folder. The rest is a snap following instructions. Reboot, and use your favorite "tweak" utility to re-tweak your new drivers.I then return the nv4.i_f and nv3.i_f to their original names incase of a problem windows will still install the default XP drivers. I have done this many times.Comments invited!

Guest jase439

Sorry to debunk the running theory (good idea though). I am running a Ti4400 on an Intel P4-2.4.

Not sure its a theory as much as just seeing if theres a proponderance of evidence around AMD. Some intel units withsame problems could also mean its a compound problem with bothprocessor and driver problems.One never knows!Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg