Sign in to follow this  
FS Robert

who is addicted to flight sim?

Hey Guys,I'm 62 years old and have been addicted to Flight Sims since FS2 on a Commodore 64 in the early 80's. I buy computers just to keep up with the latest version. I've flown all the versions of FS except FS95 plus Flight Assignment ATP and Flight Unlimited I and II. Remember "The Battle of Britain"? "Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe"? "Battlehawks 1942"? "Aces of the Pacific"? "Aces Over Europe"? ETC, ETC, ETC!!!!!!! I'm retired and divorced so I have nobody to answer to right now. It's the best of all worlds.DO YOU THINK I'M ADDICTED???? *:-*maxsdad

Hi, my name is Adrian and I'm a Flight Sim addict. (phew, that wasn't so hard afterall!)I began with FS5 but that didn't get me hooked for long as I got more interested in Combat Simulators, like Falcon4, Janes F18, etc. I bought all of them as soon as they were released.However when FS2000 came out I was enticed back and I've been truely addicted since. Mind you I seem to spend more time downloading all the latest utilities and planes and playing around with AI Traffic schedules than I do actually flying.One small bit of therapy I've discovered is to grab my radio scanner and spend the day at the local airport listening to the ATC chatter and spotting airliners. I find this adds balance back into my life. :-)

Well, much as most flightsimmers would disagree, I still only consider Flight Simulator as a game. It is not real, so it is a game. I am just being practical, I suppose. For example, I still don't think that I am enjoying myself during the time I leave the autopilot on for more than ten hours for a flight from San Francisco to Hong Kong. I enjoy myself when I am actually handling the plane. So those ten hours or more I use time acceleration. That makes it less realistic? Probably. But if I don't use time acceleration, and those ten hours or so I am not even enjoying it, and it is just using up electricity and computing power, ...Kitty MercuryCathay Pacific Virtual Pilot (CX252)

Guest Heather 636

Well, I am happy to be able to say that I have avoided the evils of FS Addiction. I mean, I can be away from this for almost a whole hour without wanting to run in and see what new goodies are available in the library. And I can go an entire day, maybe two even without doing a repaint (thinking about them doesn't count does it?).After all, doesn't everybody consider repainting their house in pixels?And I can't imagine that I am a minority amongst women. Why surely even Martha Stewart must have FS2002 on her computer so that she can stay up with the current VATSIM flights before hosting her show of unaffordable antiques and healthy cooking tips. It's a good thing!In fact, I was thinking of hosting a block party just for the girls so we could get together and compare systems and download applications for FS. Nothing unusual there.And surely, all of you must know at least half a dozen girls who just get goose bumps all over when they here the throaty rumble of a radial engine pass over.Nope, nothing unusual here. I am NOT an addict.Cheers!Heather

Man oh man Heather, wish I had so much controll as you. Just the other day I told my wife she has a beautiful tail just like Mike Stones new Boeing 757...come to find out, it was not a good thing to say to her...go figure!This Hobby Just Keeps Getting Better... :-yellow1Kind RegardsRobert

Vl3MQY.png

Severely addicted. Each time I want to let go, something pops up and drags me back into it. Especially now with FS2k2, which has a complete stranglehold over me. First it was the visuals, which kept me occupied for a few months. Then when I was about to take a break, I found FSW clouds and coupled them with FSMeteo. That made me want to fly again. Then PSS (I hate you guys ;)) released the Airbus and that had me glued to the PC for another few months, then it was scenery add-ons and exploring every airport I blew money on and now, just as I thought I'd be able to finally take a break, PAI comes in and chains me back again. This hobby is dangerous, it costs a fortune, it's addictive, but hot damn I love every second of it :)

YES ! We are all addicted....if you like planes, if you like flight , if you like aviation..well....it is our destiny..! What can I say ? Like the Martin B-26 Marauder, the new name for FS 2002 should be " Widow Maker" . I understand my poor wife , eagerly waiting for his husband in the evening..to speak..then again speak and speak...waiting for her "best" TV programs to share with me...(!)"You only live twice" was the title of an old Connery's 007 movie...Since it's a sin to tell a lie, let's go and fly the only one life we have ...and don't mind to widows! all the best Kikko

Hmmm... anyone try filming a FS session with a video camera and play back at super slow speed? There just may be some subliminal messages flickering on the screen. How else can one explain the multitude of FS zombies for the past 20 years? :-lol

Gooday,i have a question for you.How many of you addicts have considered making a career in the "Real" Aviation Industry?Consider the time, effort, money, study, practice that has gone into playing the game, if you were to take all the same effort and put it into flying real airplanes, im sure alot of you would make amazing pilots! I have just begun my career in aviation, and i love it, seeing the world, actually seeing the beautiful airplanes, airports and everything else involved. I would probably be a better pilot if i took the time from this game to study. Of course, my instrument skills are pretty good because of this game! But nonetheless, there is nothing that can even come close to the real thing. Just my opinion, Cheers

Guest Reddog

Hi C172pilot.your question is good the only thing is I did backwards. I'm 66 now, 20years in the military of which 17 were in ATC. Got my privat pilots lic. in 1978 had about 500 to 600 hours logged when I stopped in 1985 and then took up flt. simming after that.Acutually got started with Air WarriorsII first FS was 98 then 2000 and now 2002 along with CFS and CFS2 and will probably be getting CFS3 when it comes out. Just can't stop once it starts!!!!!!http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data/reddog/631785.jpgSceenshots and Pics athttp://comunity.webshots.com/user/reddog18951USMC Retired

Hi I'm Talon and I'm a flightsim addict. I've been flying from the days of vector graphics (a buncha connected lines for you young'uns). I flew FS I, Strike Eagle I. Every couple years I moved on to stronger sims. First vectors, then polygons, then textured graphics. Remember those? - an aircraft 2 miles away looked like a blob of colors. Yet, in my mind it was an aircraft. Now I'm hooked on the 3D accelerated stuff (eye candy galore). I got it so bad I even became a pusher to help support the habit. Got my friend and my brother doing sims. Unfortunately, my friend managed to kick his addiction. My brother is still doing it when I last looked.I been hitting since the days of monochrome graphics, CGA, EGA, VGA, 16-bit, 32-bit. The stronger the better baby. I've done GA sims, combat sims, light sims, hardcore, I've just about done it all. Props, jets, helos, the more the better, baby.Am I addicted? Hell yeah. I did kick my addiction once. I started reading books, watching TV, and even dating. Still, the pull was too much for me for me. I got back into the habit. It's too late for me man, cause the stuff keeps getting better and better. Darn, I gotta go... the attendant is back... time for my meds.--T

Pull up a chair next to RichardS - Let's put all of the Flight-Simming Vets together on the front row...AFOX :-lol