Sign in to follow this  

Cape Air VA

In the coming months I will start to lay the foundation for a new kind of Virtual Airline. I have chosen to base it on the small New England based airline Cape Air. This airline also services Florida and the Caribbean. One of the main reasons for choosing this airline is because I am also an employee for Cape Air. I stated earlier that this is a new kind of VA and it will be. There are two main features that I will be working on that will allow this VA to be unique. One will be support from the actual airline itself. The other will be the use of FSMaintenance. As far as the involvement of the real Cape Air, well, that will be announced once I have a presentation to provide to the proper departments. As for the FSMaintenance portion, it will work something like this. By using FSMaintenance our fleet will age and be serviced like a real fleet would. Also pilots will use our planes and return them to the hanger and be assigned different a/c that has been flown by their fellow pilots. By FSMaintenance Cape Air VA will also be able to become a profitable VA or one that finds itself in debt. It is for this reason that choosing the right pilots will make a big difference. A quick run down on how it will work is this. Like all pilots, prior to becoming an employee you need to go thru some checks. Background, credentials, and flights are just some of the things. Once the Chief Pilot feels that a pilot is ready and able to fly for the VA then he/she will become part of the family. Next the pilot will bid on his/her routes. Routes will consist of locations and not times or days. Cape Air runs hourly service to most of there locations on a daily basis so when I pilot will bid on a VA route, that pilot will basically be stating where they want to fly to and from and leave it to the pilot to fly when they can (with the understanding that they should fly the same schedule times as the real airline). The pilot will be restricted to how many legs they can fly on a certain airframe until the a/c needs to be returned to the hanger and a new a/c will be assigned. This will ensure that all our a/c are inspected and are reliable. The a/c will then be put into maintenance and the chief mechanic will determine what repairs need to be done if any. All flights will be logged using the FSMaintenance feature and the .cvs file will be emailed to the Chief Pilot which will state the performance of the pilot. All fuel used will be logged as well and will be an expense drawn against the companies income. Virtual Dollars (V$) will also be used as an expense to pay our pilots. We will have an accountant to take care of our V$. For those who have used FSMaintenance you might have a good idea of how this might work. After every logged flight FSMaintenance provides you with a window stating how much is made in income, how much is set aside for repairs, and how much fuel is used. This info is stored in a file and that file will be emailed back to Operations (Ops) to where each department will get the info the need and update the companies standing. Basically we will just be using the Balance amount in V$. If a pilot does his/her job of flying right the company will make money. If the pilot has a bad flight then we will loose money. One thing about the real Cape Air is that many flights get repositioned or

wow!! thats fantastic!! this is EXACTLY what I was thinking of myself! I didn't know how to pull it off, with using FSM. I am very excited about this!I would like to be a pilot.thanksplease feel free to email any more detailsciao!Brian S

Ciao!

great look foreward to it.please excuse my double posting on the VA announcements just now, I thought i responded to your post yesterday but i forgot it was here and not the announcement page.ciao!Brian S

Ciao!

Guest bruno

This does sound an interesting idea, I look forward hearing some more

Guest MightyMatt76

This indeed sounds like a great idea. Although I live in the Netherlands, I have spent much time in the New England area with some summers in Nantucket and worked in Portland Maine. I have flown for several VA's including British Airways Virual and Orange Air. I like the smaller turbo prop planes and therefore am really excited about your project. Please add me to your mailing list (matthew@[NOSPAM]cistron.nl please remove the [NOSPAM] bit) and keep me up to date. I would be interesed in being a pilot, and something extra never hurt anyone before.Flyin' High,Matthew NiederbergerVisit:[a href=http://www.matthew.cistron.nl]My Spotters Website[/a]

RE: Cape Air VA updateEverything is on schedule and soon I will be releasing more info on the VA. I strongly believe anyone who is a part of Cape Air VA will greatly enjoy being a part of it new kind of VA. Right now most of the web pages are complete and I am putting the finishing touches on the rest. I then have to create the Pilots Operating Handbook (POH) and Pilots Operating Manual (POM). Cape Air VA will put out a monthly newsletter called

Guest MightyMatt76

Thanks for the info, it sounds like a great adventure and I hope to be a part of it. If I ever do win the prize, I will make sure to come over to Hyannis. I was there in 1998 passing through whilst visiting a friend on Nantucket, can't wait to start flying for you guys. So there will only be 42 pilots on the roster? Does Cape Air have a website? And what is the URL of the Cape Air VA website?When you mentioned flying often, how often will this be? Must we all own a copy of FSM? I have no experience with this, could you enlighten us some more on this? Thanks so much!Flyin' High,Matthew NiederbergerVisit:[a href=http://www.matthew.cistron.nl]My Spotters Website[/a]

To provide you with the quick and easy answers to your questions I can give you this. There will be only 17 lines to bid on which means 17 pilots unless we do line shares which doesnt change anything. I first would like to get all lines serviced before I start doubling up on lines. We will probably only have around 30 pilots because we are going to need to have planes available to be on hand to be issued by the Market Directors and also some will need to be in maintenance. Cape Airs website is www.flycapeair.com. Our website will be released once its all finished and has been approved. By flying often I mean just that. There is no number we are looking for like so many in a week or a month just fly often. The way it will work is for every postion that is filled by staff there will be a monthly salary in Virtual $ (V$). Also there will be a set landing and misc fee for every flight and it will depend on which type of airfield you land like Class B or Class D etc along with fuel cost and maintenance. These will be factors of expense along with pilots pay which will be based on hourly pay. So we will have a certain amount of Debt that we will need to cover each month. The more income we can get the better we can run as a VA. In order to create a standard for this I have also created the Virtual Airline Union Group or V.A.U.G. This will basically state certain standards and hopefully other VA will start using it in which will standardize certain aspects of VA's and make V$ more of a common practice. Yes FSM and Golden Eagle will be required for pilots. Hope this answers some of your questions.Kilstorm

Guest MightyMatt76

Thats a really nice site they have got. I went ahead and bought the Golden Eagle 421 with the intention to be flying it for you soon. I have been practicing at the Keys and on Nantucket. I also installed FSM and took a flight with that. That really makes you take a good look at your abilities as a virtual pilot. I took a short hop from the Keys to KMIA but half way through (without auto pilot and extremely heavy turbulence, no kidding asdie) I crashed! That has never happend before and I have always flown with realism settings maxed out. I am probably not doing much good for my application to Cape Air VA, but FSM sheads a different light on the situation. Now that I have read the 421 manual I believe that that will not happen again, I will keep you posted!Flyin' High,Matthew NiederbergerVisit:[a href=http://www.matthew.cistron.nl]My Spotters Website[/a]