Sign in to follow this  

Suggestion for the front page news

To the AVSIM editors:As the submissions to the library increase on a daily basis, so do the front-page descriptions of the submissions. When the library was first opened and there were a couple of files submitted per day, it was relevant for the front page to list the files to garner support for a growing file library.Today, I think readers would agree that the library submission rate is quite healthy. I no longer see the relevance of posting each and every file from the previous day's submissions on the main page. It seems a paragraph synopsis would suffice along with a link that says "a complete listing of yesterday's files can be found here". Instead of taking the user to the detailed descriptions, the link would take the user to a page that looks like today's listing on the front page. The user can then drill down to the file details from the summary page.Personally, I see more value in not only including a front-page summary link, but also additional links to "the hottest files in the past 24 hours" and "the hottest files in 2003". These links are more newsworthy than a full daily listing and the statistics show users what files the community finds interesting and/or useful. Casual users of the file library could quickly find the hottest files rather than wade though the full summary listing. Overall, the suggested changes take much less space on the front page and give readers the choice of reviewing files or simply moving onto the next news article.I know many users find the library listing useful in its current state and the highest importance was given to the file library in the demographic survey. However, given how the submission rate has grown over the years, readers are going to ultimately encounter a submission list of ludicrous length.Knowing how the editorial staff strives to have the most efficient and best looking web site on the internet, I hope you will consider my suggestion.Regards,Bruce NicholsonMedford, OR USA

Bruce,Your suggestion is well taken. Sometimes it's hard to see the forest for all the trees, and when I first read your post I instantly knew exactly what you were saying and I really agree. Our daily library posting is really becoming so large that it is really taking up a lot of unnecessary space on the front page.There are better and more condensed ways of letting the readers know what

Guest Miro Majcen

Bruce, thank you for your comment. We're looking at this. Best regards, Miro MajcenSenior Managing EditorAVSIM Onlinewww.avsim.com

How about a seperate link to a page that displays the last 7 days in the same format as the list on the front page today? I know I use the list on the front page, but do not have time to log in every day anymore..... and the list is more practical than clicking on the 'days' through the Library URL. Just a thought from an old fp'er ;-)

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

I think someone should monitor the forum pages and highlight on the front page if there seems to be an above average level of complaints about commercial software you advertise or give links to. At least there may at least some warning for unsuspecting purchasers. They can then review the forum and then make a decision. A case in point is the newly released A320 Pilot in Command from Wilco. Go take a look! I am amongst many who are more than upset with this piece of junk.Michael Oliver