Sign in to follow this  
hmar

Wing Vortices

hi,can somebody please tell me the changes i have to make to the aircraft.cfg file to create wing vortices...i recall seeing them posted one time but i can't find them anymore...thanks;)

Hi,Here is my recipeDownload fxgauges1.zip or fxgauges11.zip from the AVSIM library. Unzip the file and place the fxgauges.cab in the ...FS2002Gauges map and the fx_contrail_v.fx in the FS2002Effects map. Open the aircraft.cfg in the aircraft map with notepad and look for the row < and > are square bracketsand add the folowing rows after it:smoke.0=0.0, -10.0, -11.5, fx_contrail_vsmoke.1=0.0, -10.0, 11.5, fx_contrail_v-10.0, 11.5 are the coordinates for the MIG21 of Captain Sim. Youmust adapt these values to your airplaine. (11.5 and -11.5 are the distances from the longitudinal axis to the wingtyp, -10 is the distance to the trailing edge of the wing. Close and save the file.Next open the panel.cfg in the panel submap of the aircraft. Add the following row to the section after the "gauge0x" rows:gauge0x=fxgauges!WingTipVortices1g, 0, 0, 2gauge0x = 1 count higher as the ones already specified in the section.Here the contrails are appearing when the G-force reaches 2g (defined by the last parameter). Close and save the file.Start flying. The fxgauge must be activated before it does its job (displaying the 2D cockpit for a moment is enough)Happy flying,hm

HI,Would there be any way to activate these vortices upon exceeding a certain positive G-Load. That would be cool. Especially for military jets.

Hi,it's the case in the given example. The last parameter defines the "G-load" when the contrails are appearing.example:gauge0x=fxgauges!WingTipVortices1g, 0, 0, 3lets appear the contrails if the G-load is higher than 3G.hm

hm,they don't work this way. :-)The last three numbers in the line determine the position and size of the gauge. But the fxgauges are invisible - so these are "fake" numbers.There are 2 g-force related gauges in the fxgauges11.zip package (and I forgot to mention this in the readme): WingTipVortices1g.xml and WingTipVortices2g.xml. They activate/deactivate the smokesystem at a g-force of 1g or 2g.If there is any need I'll update this to any value you like. It's very easy to change the number with a text editor.Claudius

Hello,Mr. C.Klein, I presume? It is always more acceptable to be corrected by the author of the gauges himself :-) . So I made I big blunder here. I hope the rest of explanation was at your satisfaction, except that I didn't mentioned your name as the developper of fxgaugesxx.zip, my excuses.But if it would possible to access these coordinates within the gauges XML code, they could be used as a parameter and then, maybe, my ridiculous explanation about the parameter could be turn out to be correct for the future developments, I hope!Thanks again for these gauges.hm

{SMOKESYSTEM}//smoke.1=-5.00, -55.00, 6.00, fx_727smoke.fx//smoke.2=-5.00, -55.00, -6.00, fx_727smoke.fxsmoke.1=3.00, -10.00, 28.69, fx_contrail_t38.fxsmoke.2=3.00, -10.00, -28.69, fx_contrail_t38.fxI just copy over the smokesystem section from the T38 Talon whenever I want contrails. All I need do is adjust the last set of numbers for the proper spread over the wingtips. The above example are the numbers for the new Gmax Tomcat. Works great on all the jets. Only one I couldn't get to work right away was an F16 2000 aircraft.http://www.x-plane.org/users/mgdbottled/Tomcat5.jpg

Hello,Mr. C. Klein, I presume. It is always more acceptable to be corrected by the author himself :-) . I made a big blunder here. Was the rest of your explanation to your satisfaction, although i didn't mentioned your name as the developer of these magnificient gauges. In any case thank you for your work.But, if it would be possible to get access to these coordinates from the XML code, you could use them as a parameter and then my ridiculous explanation could become a correct one for the future devellopments. ;-)Thank you.hm

hm, >Mr. C.Klein, I presume? You're right, that's me.>I hope the rest of explanation was >at your satisfaction, except that I didn't mentioned your >name as the developper of fxgaugesxx.zip, my excuses. Why this? The forum lives from people helping and explaining to others, even if they give a "wrong" explanation. Others will correct them, be it the developer himself or anybody else with the appropriate knowledge.>But if it would possible to access these coordinates within >the gauges XML code, they could be used as a parameter and >then, maybe, my ridiculous explanation about the parameter >could be turn out to be correct for the future developments, >I hope! Good idea! I could do a visible gauge with a dial, but I'm too lazy... :-)Claudius