Sign in to follow this  
shermank

OT: Computer Tuneups

Actually, this is on topic insofar as it improves computers for all apps, including fs2k2. I had the feeling things were getting a little sluggish on my system over the last few weeks. I am a regular subscriber of Fred Langa's news letter at www.langa.com which offers great insights into a variety of computer problems and issues. To get to the point, something in the current issue led me to another web site, www.pcpitstop.com. I am exstatic with the results. Some of you may have privacy issues, because pcpitstop prods and pokes at your computer to come up with its analysis of what's going on. Of course, it only does so when you give your permission. But, believe me when I tell you that pitstop found problems which I thought were dealt with long ago in my various tweaking moves...such as DMA activation on hard drives and even more important, an efficient and accurate way to set up your memory swap file. It also found that I had not optimized IE for the best possible internet transfer speeds. I use cable modem, and after the recommended tweaking, things literally fly. The first place I noticed the improvement was while downloading real wx...the transfer was several times speedier than it had been before I made the recommended pcpitstop changes. So, for those of you looking for some good computer advice...visit www.langalist.com and to get a real inside probe of what's wrong with your particular iron, head over to www.pcpitstop.com. I hope you get as much good from them as I have.Sherman KaplanHighland Park IL

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thanks for the tip Sherman. It's always reassuring to find out that the beast is still running at top performance.

Yes... Thanks, Sherman (Hi, David).I, too, took my system in for a tuneup. It did pretty well. And I got some suggestions on wringing a bit more performance out of it.Thanks again,

I can't recommend this website, after giving them my e-mail address (NO "testing" would begin in anonymous mode after repeated attempts) and being logged on as a "member", 15 attempts to complete the system test resulted in error messages each time. I was unable to resolve these on the troubleshooting page, and since the error messages varied in content from minute to minute I must conclude that the operators of this site may be less than sincere in their stated intentions. What a suprise!! Oh well, more spam to delete.

did you disable virus protection during the tests? Or, perhaps your firewall prevented access. All I can say is that it worked for me, and I have no connection with either of the web sites I mentioned, except as a satisfied user. And, as I said, if you are suspicious of any outside intrusions, no matter the source, then this will not be of interest or help to you...Sherm