Sign in to follow this  
rpowers

ATR-42-500 What is normal cruise altitutde & ceiling?

Just installed the ATR 42 By Sanchez Castaner & it is awesome.What is normal cruise altitude and ceiling?Thanks,Ron rpowers@theramp.net

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

Depends on the weight. Between 180-200 IAS around FL200-FL220 would fairly typical. There is a very good .zip around the libraries with ATR performance info in it, so a search on 'ATR' and 'performance' should turn something up. However, do be aware that the flight model with this aircraft is pretty dreadful (IMO, before anyone else jumps in). I fiddled with it for days to get it performing half-way decently (to me) although it's probably still underpwered at t/o. It's worth the effort because the panel is so good, esecially the VC. I eventually used a different .air file and made a lot of changes to the aircraft.cfg, but even then don't expect it to perform in accordance with the charts. The stock model has an alarming habit of descending in a turn when in HDG SEL mode of the a/p which should give a clue to whoever tested it that something pretty obvious is wrong! I await the Eurowings payware ATR to see if that is any better.Cheers,AndyEGTR

Well, I've found the ATR 42-500 to be pretty decent with the dynamics (once you get used to the autothrottle for takeoff). My only problem was that it seemed to get to quite a high speed at cruise. Make sure on takeoff you have the power setting at TO and autothrottle turned on. There is actually a checklist included (though I can't seem to start the engines without using CTRL+E) that has been really helpful. As for decent, make sure your autothrottle is off and your power levers are set to flight idle. Speed tends to drop pretty well at that setting. Most of my segments are between destinations less than 200 miles away, however, and so my cruising altitude is between 11,000 and 13,000 and my cruise setting usually settles around 273kts (a little fast, but no complaints here). Hope this info helps!George

Thanks for the info.So with average load,what is max cruise altitude?I want to enter a number in FS Nav.Thanks,Ron

Thanks,got what I needed.Ron