Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brent Hebert

The PSS Dillemma

Greetings Editors and Readers,I wanted to share some thoughts I have had regarding the state of affairs in the AVSIM forums, in an effort to see if there is a possible resolution to a sticky problem. Let me say off the bat that I am fully aware that "ownership" of these forums rests with AVSIM, and the management is, as always, entitled to run them as they see fit.As most of you know, the AVSIM systems host a multitude of forums, from general chat, flightsim related things, and vendor specific support groups. Among the groups are a "Microsoft Flight Sim" forum, advertised as a place do discuss ALL MSFS related items, and the "PSS Support" forum, advertised as a place to ask questions, get support, and make suggestions. Currently, the PSS Support Forum is moderated. All posts are reviewed by forum or company representatives before being placed in the forum. The General Forum is also moderated, but in a more passive nature - posts are allowed through, and any inappropriate posts are dealt with afterwards.It has been said that criticisms of PSS products, when posted to the PSS forums, are filtered out. While I have not been subjected to this scenario, rumblings of it occuring are not difficult to find. The PSS forum is ripe with product problems, but when individuals begin to become critical, the seem to vanish before they see the light of day. When PSS criticisms or discussions are raised within the General Forums, they are often referred to the PSS forum, locked from further participation, or deleted, under the reasoning that there is a PSS forum for such discussions. That leaves a critical owner with nowhere to go in order to communicate their message to the readers. The combination of these two behaviours lead to the *appearance* that there is no place in the AVSIM community to levy a complaint/criticism against PSS products, as the conversation will be bounced to the PSS forum, where (if critical) stands a good chance to be filtered out. Part of my message to you comes from seeing posts from other communities reflecting the same feelings. Understandably, the PSS forums have been inundated with posts over the past few days due to the release of their new products. One of my posts was filtered out, but due to it's content I can only imagine it to have been done in error - I was posting about a temporary fix to a view problem, but the post never made it. Unmoderating the forums will actually HELP with multiple posts, as it allows posts to more quickly find readers eyes. While it is doubtful that PSS will "unlock" their forum and allow for normal, unmoderated discourse to take place, it would be a welcome change if AVSIM moderators of the General MSFS forum would allow more open conversations relating to PSS. The PSS forums are primarily for support and recommendations of their products, but the General MSFS forums advertise to be for ALL MS flight sim discussions. Again, they are not my forums to run, but it would be very nice to see a less heavy hand in the control and moderation of the forums as it relates to PSS.-Greg Germanowski *PROUD* owner of the PSS Airbus series', DHC-8, B747 & B777. :)

Guest Brent Hebert

Greg,I do agree with you post, especially with your last paragraph. Many of the issues concerning flying the PSS product, CaptainSim or any other MSFS related product can be answered within the community of users themselves. Reports of product bugs or problems are best discussed in the proper vendor's forum, however user questions and techniques should be allowed at the MSFS where the response time is not dependant on, if and when it gets posted. It will also reduce the duplicity of questions.Brent Hebert